Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does it make sense to buy new

Originally posted by jk224 View Post

I read the original post slightly differently than the thread has become. I really like the look of the 6DII, but I don't really want to pay £2000 for it on release. Both my 30D and 70D were bought, new, about 6 months after release when the price in the shops had started to drop. Initial reports, however, seem to think that this camera is going to be so popular that the price will stay the same for some time.
    Blow me, I have to admit that having gone back and re-read the OP I realise it was more about early adopters rather than buying new cameras generally...

That said I think my comments still largely apply, if you buy it straight off and then use it frequently for a decent length of time then it's probably still a sensible buy. The caveat may be that early adopters then run the risk of being unwitting beta testers should there be a few unresolved bugs in the system or, as original 5D owners found out, some unknown or unexpected mechanical /quality control issue. Those who resist temptation or have to save up the cash and buy a few months down the line are generally better placed to avoid these problems.

I guess you takes your choice and pays your money - or not...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

trading in every time something new comes out has never seemed economically sensible and even less so if both options apply.
      I was tempted with the mk2 1DX as I can see my versions price dropping now as the models progress, however they seem to be holding their own as there appears to be a ready market for them.. might be different when the 1DX Mk3 comes out...... ohh have I started a rumour
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

when the 1DX Mk3 comes out...... ohh have I started a rumour
        Is it?

Must ring up and put my deposit on one!
        Colin

Comment

I have always thought that Grey imports are not covered by Canon U.K. So do you have to send it back to the country of origin?

Comment

This is my understanding, which may, or may not be correct:

1 series bodies and L series lenses are covered by a worldwide Canon Warranty, so should be fixed by Canon UK. Everything else is down to your supplier.

I suspect that for everything else, it is unlikely to be a positive experience. But no doubt there are good and bad Grey Importers and the good ones will do their best to minimise your pain.
            Colin

Comment

Sometimes new costs less than secondhand - well worth checking
              ef-r

Comment

Colin, but that surely is simply during the warranty, after that is up and you are paying then they will repair it?
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

In the case of H.DEW they are grey importers based in the u.k with a physical shop you can also visit ,but they not only offer grey prices but also give better than u.k warranty periods I.e 3 years on bodies ,1 year on lenses or greater at times ,the repairs are sent to a u.k canon repair centre the same ones as every u.k dealer sends them to .and speaking from experience they are 100% up front with it

Comment

I agree with TonyT above. I have no qualms about grey imports (new) and have not been let down todate.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have bought grey imports.....same product different coloured box....I used Simply electronics and they were fine by my experience.....but then they went bust - I wouldn't have wanted to have an outstanding order when that happened. Of course any firm could go under but more of a risk if an on-line firm only as it could be difficult to track them down.

i would recommend using a credit card (not a debit card or PayPal) for all such transactions....that way you can get your money back off them......but thats probably obvious and well known advice.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I've used HDEW and Panamoz and I would have no qualms about using either again. I've not needed it but Panamoz have a 3 year warranty in the UK. They also seem to have a wider range.
                        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I was recently asked by a group of amateur photographers if I could justify buying a 5D Mk IV. My answer was, NO, I just wanted it. If you really analyse things that is very often the case. I have won more competitions with pictures taken on my original 5D and the later 5D II than I have with my 5D III or my 5D IV, so clearly the later cameras haven't improved my photography. I have the same situation with other purchases like cars, Computers and other tech. I suspect that many people are the same. Witness the queues outside the Apple shops on the day of release of the latest i whatever. We all crave things and if we are lucky enough to be able to afford them we will be seduced into buying them.
                          I very much doubt that many of us have seen a significant change in the quality of our photography by buying the latest EOS xxx, but I bet those that have bought one have loved owning it. Will I consider secondhand equipment, yes if it is something that I really want and could not afford new, perhaps a Hasselblad XID, who knows.
                          So if you want it and can afford it why not treat yourself.
                          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X