Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade

I am thinking of upgrading my 5d Mk3 to the 5d Mk4 and was wondering what is the average trade in price for the 5d MK3 in excellent condition with low shutter count

Thanks
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Re: Upgrade

Look at around £1,200 from WEX or MPB ... there might be a £200 bonus from WEX as well. For an excellent example you might be able to get £1,500 or even better selling yourself but that brings the potential hassles of private sale ...

Comment

It is a hard decision whether to go for new or used.

I am still trying to deside between a used 5D4 or used 1DX as they are about the same price.

The big different is the number of picture each will take - 5D4 is rated for 150k the 1DX at 4K

As I rattle though about 1000 a week (50k/year) it is an issue that needs to be considered (for me).

Luckily I would a 7D2 which has an expected life of 200k so that is less of an issue.
      ef-r

Comment

Thats quite a lot of photographs Brian. What do you do with them?- or atleast some of them?
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          Thats quite a lot of photographs Brian. What do you do with them?- or atleast some of them?
          With the 7D2 the pictures get taken as it gord about 10/sec. I use a lot of flash for taking macro pictures so I have a bettery pack for the flash which enables me flash at 10/sec.

Taking pictures of those pesky insects is hard work. I recon to keep maybe 1 in 10 on a good day. I probably soot about 1000 pictures a week - so a 7d2 should last about 4 years, whereas a 6D/5D would only last 3 years - but at a much slower rate (which is one of the reasons why I sold me 6D- the others being the lack of focus points and the 1/4000 chutter speed).

The 5D4 is getting closer at 8fps but being a full frame is a disadvantage as it limits the macro(18-mm) to 2 times magnifivation whereas the 7D2 gives 3.2

It is all down to individual requiements when it comes to chosing a camera - I know a photographer that is happile using a 40D to get suppurb A4 prints.

Brian
          Last edited by briansquibb; 10-07-2017, 06:48.
          ef-r

Comment

The trade in price for my 5d3 against a new 5d4, was £1500 Inc the trade in bonus, from wex.

However, I sold it to a friend for the trade in price.
            Dave

Comment

I traded in at Jessops (£1200) as they are local to me and I could have a play with the camera.

@Dave_S think the trade in price has come down a bit since you upgraded. I could have got an extra £200 trade in bonus from Wex but I like to shop local if I can
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

It could well have done Alex.

WEX is only a hours drive from me, and they have always offered the best price whenever I part ex. Always better than LCE, and Camera World. MPB is always a close second.

The only problem I have with Jessops, "we haven't got in stock, but can get it in for you", WEX have always had what I want in stock, to take away.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                  The trade in price for my 5d3 against a new 5d4, was £1500 Inc the trade in bonus, from wex.

However, I sold it to a friend for the trade in price.
                  You got a good price there ... at launch the offer was £1,200 + £200 bonus against (I think) £3,499 ...

Comment

Working...
                  X