I bloody hate lightroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bloody hate lightroom

Had a fairly good day today I think ,if I could get my pics into a Lightroom folder ,it's done one of its normal tri-monthly tits up operations and won't let me download my files from today . Grrrrrrrr why didn't Apple just keep aperture running grrrrr grrrrrr .
    Just hope my lad can sort it out later

Re: I bloody hate lightroom

Stick with DPP. Not quite so clever as Lightroom, but it's quick, easy to use and specially developed by Canon, for Canon.
    Colin

Comment

all sorted now colin ,just having a senior moment .flipping dog playing up while i was doing it didn't help

Comment

Unless you are a pro tog, that needs to sort, and catalogue a large number of images quickly, plus perhaps a bit of light tweaking, I can't really see the benefit of Lightroom.

I have CS6, which I bought in my astro imaging days, where digital image processing was far more involved, than our terrestrial images involve.

However, out of interest, I bought Light Room, but soon, discovered that it was really aimed at the usage described in the first para above.

Having a liking for exploring new image processing software, I downloaded a 30 Day trial of Photoshop Elements 14, and found that it met 99% of my image processing needs, including an excellent cataloguing function. Far more than Lightroom offers. So I bought it, and have been using it ever since. In fact I can't remember the last time I had to resort to using CS6.
        Dave

Comment

Dave it's a no brainer for me as I am using mine on the sons second computer allowance .it doesn't in fact cost me a penny .if at any time he moved out (unlikely) then I would look for alternatives

Comment

You can't get cheaper than that then Jeff .

Lightroom is good, but not as good as the others I mentioned, when it comes to image processing, but then it was never designed to replace Photoshop.

My wife and I tend to do a couple of cruises each year, and I note that the on-board photographers use Lightroom. But then they have to sort, and process (if needed), hundreds of images per day, and load them onto the computer(s) that feed the display screens, for the 'punters' to view, and hopefully order prints. Lightroom is the ideal 'tool' for that, as they don't have time to use Photoshop, and a separate cataloguing program.
            Last edited by Dave_S; 03-07-2017, 13:30.
            Dave

Comment

I have cc dave ,I use Lightroom to store and catalogue my pics ,then do the basic raw conversions to my liking ,I then finish off in Photoshop using a pre loaded program in nik efex plug in ,use imageonic to de.noise again a plug in .then finish off with Photoshop sharpening filters .sounds complicated but probably takes less than two minutes start to finish per pic .
              It's just a standard workflow module .
              The main bugbear with Lightroom I find is it's a pain to get the focus points up and running as the plug in can only be accessed from the library an it's one pic at a time .what a stupid omission from a good program .
              Focus point placement is so important with wildlife as the eye is critical , and it's surprising how far off you can sometimes be often blaming the camera of lens rather than user error

Comment

often blaming the camera or lens rather than user error
                What blame me? No ............. can't possibly be. Must be the camera!
                Colin

Comment

Working...
                X