Sunny 16 Rule and Kingston Lacy House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunny 16 Rule and Kingston Lacy House

The Sunny 16 rule is a way to meter for the correct exposure during the middle of the day without using the camera exposure meter. The basic idea is that in daylight at an aperture of f16, the correct exposure can be achieved with a reciprocal shutter speed to the ISO you are using. I had heard of this rule years ago but had forgotten it until I saw an article in a recent magazine. We were required for another shoot at Kingston Lacy yesterday so thought I would try it out. Both these shots of the formal garden, with the house as a backdrop were shot just after midday in bright sunlight, camera set to manual, f16, ISO 200, 1/200 - the shots are more or less straight out of the camera with very minor processing.

The rule can be used in different light conditions as well, for example, slightly overcast shoot at f11, overcast, f8, in both cases whatever ISO you use, choose the reciprocal shutter speed

Stan

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Sunny 16 Rule and Kingston Lacy House

Nice photos & thanks for the reminder of this rule which my father taught me in the days of Kodachrome 25 ASA (ISO for the youngsters) before in-camera metering. At 1/25th sec it was usually a tripod shot.

Forgive me but the images look a little over-sharpened to me.
    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

thanks Bob

Forgive me but the images look a little over-sharpened to me.
      the originals on my hard drive look OK so it think it is flickr playing about again - these were uploaded at 2000 px and posted at 800 px and when you do that they sometimes for some reason apply sharpening

Stan

flickr

Comment

agree with Bob about the look and from what you said its flickr playing around

I do prefer the 2nd although I would probably crop a little of the grass at the bottom till the base of the flower beds ( think thats what they are called LOL) - but the 2nd for me
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Nice one! I'm going to have to try to remember that rule now.
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I seem to recall that we had a piece of paper included within a roll of film Stan that said roughly the same thing:

Bright sunshine: ASA 100 1/125sec at f16
            Bright overcast: ASA 100 1/125sec at f11
            Overcast: ASA 100 1/125sec at f8
            Rain: ASA 100 1/125sec at f5.6

Seemed to work pretty well from memory.
            Colin

Comment

Nice set Stan, of the 2 I do prefer the 2nd image

Tom

Comment

I remember a similar guide that came with my Dad's Halina film compact that he let me use....
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Two lovely shots Stan. Thanks for the reminder of the Sunny 16 Rule, had forgotten about that one
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                    the originals on my hard drive look OK so it think it is flickr playing about again - these were uploaded at 2000 px and posted at 800 px and when you do that they sometimes for some reason apply sharpening
                    Stan
                    I have seen this with Flickr Stan, I usually resize my images for Flickr to 1040px on the longest side. I then post here using that one size that way I don't see and Flickr resizing issues. But it may mean that people with smaller screens have to scroll a little to see all of the image.

Two nice compositions of the house and gardens. I like them both each of which you've used the lawn stripes to good effect, well done.
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

thanks guys

I have seen this with Flickr Stan, I usually resize my images for Flickr to 1040px on the longest side. I then post here using that one size that way I don't see and Flickr resizing issues.
                      mostly I upload at 900 and then post either at 900 or 800 and usually there is no problem

These are some of the shots specifically for Kingston Lacy so as I wasnt intending to upload them to flickr as an album, the only resize I did was 2000 for my i pad

Stan

flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X