One year on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One year on

Today marks exactly one year since I received my Canon 750D & kit lens from John Lewis and also since I joined this most excellent forum. I've been a member of several forums (or is it fora?) over the years, covering a range of subjects & interests, but I don't think I've ever contributed close to 1000 posts in a year before!

When I first decided to take my first steps into DSLR photography, I wasn't 100% sure whether I'd stick with it (hence not going too mad on equipment, initially), but I find that I'm as interested and keen now as when I first started. Most of that is down to the encouragement & help from the many lovely people on here, so a special thanks to all of you. I really appreciate it.

Also, I am hoping to receive a small windfall in the near future and if that happens then I will celebrate properly by treating myself to the upgrade that I keep putting off!

Cheers, all!
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: One year on

Happy photographic anniversary.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

happy Anniversary Chris!

I can echo what you say about the helpfulness of forum members....I've been helped to overcome many technical frustrations, find shortcut to solutions and once managed to restore my entire LR catalogue following a major computer failure all with help from here.
      So big thumbs up.

.....so what upgrades do you have in mind eh?......
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Happy anniversary Chris, like Brian asked, what to you have planned?

Tom

Comment

Congratulations Chris.

If you are still as enthusiastic as you were, then it's probably a life long journey. I find that new toys always increases enthusiasm, probably due to men being big bodies with little boys inside.
          Colin

Comment

Thanks all.

What I'm really after is better performance both in low light conditions and speed of auto-focus, with the latter being the priority. I do keep mulling over varying options but seem to keep returning to an 80D with a 100-400 mk2, so that's the likely next step.
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

The 80d is a lovely beast and you will find it a major improvement in terms of quality of image and speed of AF over the first line 750d.

I travelled a similar path from a 650d via briefly a 70d which I traded in for my 80d, so I totally understand

Using what the in-camera tricks the 80d has to offer (ie High ISO speed NR) you will get an acceptable picture at 6400 but if more matters then you will be looking at the new 6d mark ll, won't you?

However if you were to go for the Full Frame you would need to replace the 15-85 EFS lens for say a 24-105L..... adds to the dosh somewhat.

Whichever option you end up with, I wouldn't rush to replace the 100-400L mk 1 for the mk ll. You will need to shell out an extra £1400 (assuming you sold for £500) and you should ask yourself why you're doing it. That may depend on what you want to shoot ..........

............but you'll have a lot to learn with the new camera,and it will teach you, so no rush. Good luck!
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thanks Bo. I think the 80D is almost a done deal but I am certainly willing to try it with the mk1 before making a decision on the lens.

Also, I think (hope!) I can get the "cost to change" the lens to less than £1000, looking at selling on ebay and buying HDEW.

I just got a quote from MPB to trade in the 750D and mk1 against an 80D and mk2 but the figures didn't really work for me. I'm not just going to throw money at it!
                Chris

Comment

Hi Chris; well if you're only one year in, by next year you'll be a master... Your latest posts have been superb. Keep up the great work.... I can highly recommend the 80D. Combined with the new 100-400 you'll rock...
                  Cheers;
                  Lee
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                  5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                  17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Well done Chris, I will be interested in what you decide on, have you thought of the 400mm F5.6L, or have you set your heart on a Zoom?

Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                      Well done Chris, I will be interested in what you decide on, have you thought of the 400mm F5.6L, or have you set your heart on a Zoom?
                      Thanks Paul. Yes, I have seriously considered the 400mm prime, and whilst that would be absolutely fine, preferable even, for birds & wildlife, the versatility of the 100-400 is such that I can use it for a larger range of shots and I think I'd miss having that flexibility. And IS!

Obviously, the prime comes in a lot cheaper than the Mk 2 zoom so one possibility would be to keep the Mk1 and add a 400mm prime to the collection, rather than having to trade in the Mk1 for the Mk2, as finances would seem to dictate!

Also, as I said up there ^, the body will be the first upgrade and I want to see how I get on with an 80D with the Mk1 before making any rash decisions. And a long reach prime would be nice....
                      Chris

Comment

Chris, your photography belies the fact that you have only being at it for a year, to be honest I was amazed, as your work has the signs of a keen eye and a maturity about it.
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks very much, Tony. It means a lot.

To be honest, I've almost always owned a camera of some sort or another, and have owned a digital compact since my first one in the late 90s - a Fujifilm MX-700! However, I'd never really done anything except take snaps, with no concept of composition and definitely no post-processing.

I still feel I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve to becoming a better photographer but I'm enjoying the experience. And as I said earlier, this forum has been one of the reasons.
                          Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X