Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Altering original photographic postings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altering original photographic postings.

Sometimes when looking at comments on a posted photograph, I'll see suggestions such as lift the blacks, change the crop, clone out the people, tone down the greens and many others. I look at the photo again and it looks fine to me. On going to the next page, it turns out the original poster has agreed with the comments and changed the original photo. Would it not be better to keep the original as well as the revised picture, as it would probably be helpful to some of the less experienced togs.

John

Re: Altering original photographic postings.

I must agree with this.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Could I also suggest basic exif is always given, e.g. full/cropped frame camera, lens focal length, aperture, speed and iso. I know most of us use Flickr but some have these details hidden.

John

Comment

I must agree with John on this as well. I leave my exif open on flickr as I find that it helps a member to give some positive comments on my photos.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Must admit I am sometimes guilty of replacing a shot, usually because if I have altered something, I dont want both versions left on flickr but you make a good point

In respect of exif, I used to include exif within a thread for all my posts but it became obvious that so few people were bothered it is no longer my first thought.

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

I must admit that I do look at your exif Stan and am disappointed when it is not included in the thread. I presume I am a minority in that respect.

Comment

Two Johns agreeing here! I have made it a policy to keep original images when experimenting with suggested changes - otherwise the exercise is futile as a learning experience for other viewers of the post.

As for Flickr. I don't care how many versions I have on there - as far as I am concerned Flickr is just a transport medium.

Regarding Exif - I have occasionally found in the past that LR updates have unilaterally altered my preferences regarding the output of this data (which I normally wish to be included) and prevented it being available on Flickr - I check each time there is an update now.
              Last edited by John Liddle; 10-07-2017, 13:06.
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I agree too. I find it very useful to see a "before" & "after" following changes to a shot.
                Chris
                80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                  I agree too. I find it very useful to see a "before" & "after" following changes to a shot.

Agreed.
                  Colin

Comment

I've always worked on the principle that, if I replaced the original, people wouldn't know what was going on, so I always leave the "before" as well as publishing the "after".

As for EXIF on Flickr, like Nat, I leave my EXIF open. There are no secrets to my photographs! :-)
                    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

As for EXIF on Flickr, like Nat, I leave my EXIF open. There are no secrets to my photographs!
                      Me too..
                      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I always leave the original version on Flickr - of course that may be because I haven't a clue on how to replace existing images...
                        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                        X