Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WANTED: Canon User for Wildlife Help

It looks pretty good to me too.

Like the young magpie for added interest, bit of right time, right place there!
    Colin

Comment

I went and had a look at the full size version on Flickr and there is a problem I think. If you look at the full image, especially the out of focus areas, there seems to me to be a sort of double image effect. Now that could be camera shake, though at 1/800th I'd not expect it, which makes me wonder if there's a tiny touch of lens displacement going present.

As another possibility did you have the IS on? Did you allow it enough time to stabilise? I find with my IS/VR lenses they need around a second or two to catch up with the wobble. I also query the need for Ai Servo on what looks a reasonably static subject. I find Servo can cause the focus drive to shift unexpectedly - not sure if this should happen during the exposure but if there's a bit of residual motion in the focus system it probably doesn't help.

I think it's worth mounting the camera on a tripod, turning of the IS, turning of the Ai Servo, focus on a subject with good definition at a typical working distance and then with the mirror up (I assume a 5DIII has this option) and using a remote release take a series of pictures at various apertures, say f5.6, 8, 11 and 16, and asses the results. If none of the pictures are properly sharp or have the sort of odd double exposure as in the rhino pic then I'd suspect the lens has a problem. Otherwise Id expect the images to probably be a bit soft at f5.6, acceptable at f8 and critically sharp by f11 as most lenses are usually at their best one or two stops down from wide open.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
        I think it's worth mounting the camera on a tripod, turning of the IS, turning of the Ai Servo, focus on a subject with good definition at a typical working distance and then with the mirror up (I assume a 5DIII has this option) and using a remote release take a series of pictures at various apertures, say f5.6, 8, 11 and 16, and asses the results. If none of the pictures are properly sharp or have the sort of odd double exposure as in the rhino pic then I'd suspect the lens has a problem. Otherwise Id expect the images to probably be a bit soft at f5.6, acceptable at f8 and critically sharp by f11 as most lenses are usually at their best one or two stops down from wide open.
        Thank you for your help.

I did have IS on and left enough time for it to stabilise.

If we get a sunny weekend I will try the lens on a tripod in the garden.
        Colin

Colin Wallace Photography

Canon 5D MKIII / 24-105L F4 USM IS / 70-300L F4 USM IS

Comment

Another thought,

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Does seem to be some sort of an issue. Think I would try another lens if at all possible.

In the past I've used a Tamron 70-300 on my 5D3 (see otter images from Sept 2014 on my Flickr). No waiting for image stabilisation to settle and used AI servo too. And images are very sharp.

MA is a possibility and some test shots would show if that's the case. If anyone here lives close perhaps arrange a meet so you could try another lens or your lens on their body.

As a real fall back you could reset camera back to std setting (if you've changed some) and see if the issue persists.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
            X