No announcement yet.

5D4 High ISO v Low Noise performance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5D4 High ISO v Low Noise performance.

You don't know how slow you're old computer is until you start using your new one....I guess it's the same here. Better low light focussing would be nice, frame rate of mine seems adequate, but I'd like better shadow performance, lower noise at higher ISO and wifi & GPS would be nice but not in any way needed. MKIV is still very expensive at £3.3k but then all gear has become very expensive in the U.K. The 50f1.2L I bought for £980 is in September is now listed at £1300....maybe it's a bad time to change....might wait until the MkV arrives.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

That's a very impressive result, and a very timely post...

...I have been considering full-frame for a while, and had 'almost' settled on 5d4, 24-105II and 16-35f4 combo, to replace my 7dI, 15-85 and 10-22! (I also have 7dII, 70-200 f2.8, 100-400mkII, 100 macro IS, so the above would complement that nicely).

I think my mind is now made up, I just have to have a chat with the wife!

Thanks, Mike
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I think my mind is now made up, I just have to have a chat with the wife!
        And if you thought making up your own mind was hard ...............
        Colin

Comment

After seeing Chatsworth House and having read other comments elsewhere, just pressed the button to get a trade in valuation on my 5DIII from Jessops. If, and I say if, the right figure comes back then I will press the "buy now" button.... and explain later... the greatest thing Canon has ever done is keep their camera bodies black... 350D, 50D, 7D, 5DIII and even the M3 (camera not car) all the same color... .... the 5dIII will be a trade so do not have to worry about keeping old bodies "tucked away".... white lenses are a different story though..
          David

Comment

It is an expensive buy, not helped by the poor strength of £ against the Yen.

I sold my 5D3, and traded a nearly new 7Dll to soften the blow, albeit it still left a sizeable chunk of money to pay out to make up the £3.5k that the 5D4 cost at the time. No regrets though, it's a stunning piece of kit.

We are now at the stage in life when me, and Mrs S, are SKI'ing (spending kids inheritance ☺). Albeit, I didn't tell the wife what it cost ☺
            Dave

Comment

Albeit, I didn't tell the wife what it cost ☺
              With age comes wisdom.
              Colin

Comment

Wex has the 5D4 for £3500...with £1500 trade in on a 5D3 and free battery grip
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                  Wex has the 5D4 for £3500...with £1500 trade in on a 5D3 and free battery grip
                  That's the trade in price I was offered for my 5D3, but then sold it to a friend at that price. Didn't get a free battery grip when I bought the 5D4 from WEX, but I did when I bought the 5D3.

I neither needed nor wanted a battery grip, so I sold it at a fair price very quickly, which made the 5D3 a bit cheaper.

The 5D3, or now the 5D4 with L series lenses attached, are heavy enough, without adding the extra weight of a battery grip.

I always carry a spare battery, but rarely have to use it when out with the camera.
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post

I always carry a spare battery, but rarely have to use it when out with the camera.
                    Me too - easily fits in the bag
                    ef-r

Comment

Yes I've never needed a battery grip...even at a wedding its no hassle to change batteries, although if they do go flat apparently it make your memory cards more susceptible to corruption...
                      I think battery grips evolved from motor-winds on file DSLRs?
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Have motor drives on my Olympus OM cameras. Quite a boon when manual winding on was a hindrance.

Mind you 36 frames can disappear in no time!

On some DSLR a grip does improve handling if you have large hands. Have grip on my 7D2 as have found it tends to use batteries quickly especially when driving the Sigma.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Four sound reasons to have a grip:

1. For the spare battery without having to find it in you bag.

2. Often better balance on the camera, especially with longer lenses.

3. Extra controls to hand when using in portrait mode.

4. Most important of all ............... it looks so professional.
                          Colin

Comment

Yes probably helps in portrait orientation but I find the 5D3 body big enough without the grip.
                            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                              Yes probably helps in portrait orientation but I find the 5D3 body big enough without the grip.
                              As did I, and now also with the 5D4, but it's all down to personal preference of course.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X