Travels with a Full Frame Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When travelling I usually take my crop 80d with the 18-200 mm lens as this covers practically all eventualities.

HWWBO now has a Panasonic Lumix TZ100 which allows him to zoom and video, so he’s happy and this can “occasionally” be borrowed. At 20.2mp & 25-250 it packs a punch provided the light is good.

I have had my beady eye on the new 6d for some time now and in autumn we have a big trip down to relatives and friends in Australia and NZ where the landscape I’m told is so big as to be overwhelming

So I’m wondering if this might be the time to go FF , but then it seems I would lose the convenience of that big 18-200

So if I was restricted to one -or at most 2 --lenses only on a FF camera, what do other forum members take with them on their travels? I already have the 24-105L, would this be enough? Am I looking at maybe a 16-35 as well? The purse is not bottomless.

This is not a Safari type trip so no need for the big 100-400 lump which definitely stays at home

I know some of you take a rucksack full of lenses but I am restricted on weight, size and husband’s patience.

Would be interested to have your input!
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

I think that you will find that the 24 mm on a full frame is equivalent to the 18 mm on a crop sensor, so the 2 lens I would recommend is the 24-105 and a 70-300

Tom

Comment

Re: Travels with a Full Frame Camera

On my travels to Canada and India 2 years ago i took my 6D , the 24-105 , the 16-35 II and my 70-300L which all fitted nicely into a 200AW backpack which was within the Airlines carry on size and weight (10KG's i think....) , can't remember whether i took my flash or not......

It all worked out nicely as the 24-105 was on the camera most of the time , the 16-35 came out on most of the scenic one's and the 70-300 was handy in the 2 national parks we went through in India .
      Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

In preparation for the big leap from 7D to FF 5D3 I bought a 24-105f4 L and, even though a bit wide on the crop 7D, it was still an impressive lens.

When I bought the 5D3 I added a 16-35f4 L and am so blown away by the quality I rarely use anything else with the 24-105 seldom seeing the light of day.

Of course, my main interest is landscape and architecture which suit the 16-35 perfectly but it's less than ideal for closer subjects especially portraits so your choice may depend on what you envisage shooting. Perhaps a compromise would be a 16-35f4 and a tiny 'nifty fifty'. Or maybe you'll find your existing 24-105 (which will be a proper 24mm at the wide end on a FF) is wide enough and stitch when it's not.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Not sure if this will help Bo this is the meta-data breakdown of the lenses I used on a FF camera whilst in NZ for six weeks earlier this year.

In addition to these images (NB.some of the total images will be 7 bracket images) there are 352 from my phone. The one unknown lens shown in the table below intrigued me it turns out to be is a 0.03 sec video!

NZ-Lens.JPG

For the transport of kit I use the inner separators from my Lowe Pro camera bag inside of a suitcase that met the airlines carry on size limits. The Lowepro bag was packed inside one of our checked in cases and filled with an assortment of clothing etc.

I weigh the carry on bag so that I know what kit to wear at airport check in. From memory on this trip it was the 5D3, with the 24-105 attached and the 16-35 in my coat pocket. After the ground staff checked the carry on bag weight and before arriving at the security check both the camera and the two lenses were tucked back in to the carry on bag. BTW I have had that suitcase weighed every time I've flown to the Southern Hemisphere!.
          When we reach the destination the carry on bag gets reconfigured and used as our overnight bag to save having to carry the two large suitcases in to motels/hotels for short stays. The camera bag is then used as it should be, until it's time for the return journey. One other tip would be to make sure of any carry on limits if you are using any in country flights. IHTH

Oh and don't forget to change your camera date and time to match the country you're in, said the man who once forgot and had to overcome that schoolboy error in Lightroom on when we got back to the UK .
          Last edited by ST-EOS; 15-07-2017, 10:45.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

If I were you, whichever way I go, it would be a choice that didn't include the Sigma. It's a hugely convenient zoom range but the IQ is suspect - my wife has one which she stopped using now she has an EF-S 24mm, EF 40mm and has nicked my 70-200 f4 L. The IQ from that trio is amazing considering how cheap are the two primes and the 70-200 is relatively inexpensive. The Sigma isn't in the same league...

If it were me and I could justify the expense I would go for the 6DII and add the 16-35 or the 17-40, which is a bit cheaper an coming from a crop sensor you may find the 24-105 is a bit short compared to what you're used to getting with it so how about adding a 70-200 f4 for that extra reach?
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks chaps for your replies which really helped
              Seems like, as expected, the 24-105 is your main workhorse and since I’ll be doing mostly big landscapes DownUnder I’d need to look at the 16-35 as well
              Perhaps borrow hubby’s Lumix for the occasional extra reach - I really don’t want to take a third lens be it a light 70-300 or the 100-400 which I already have.
              Your figures, Peter, were most interesting and helpful- thank you. I was hoping you would reply as I recall you went there this spring. I note your comments re weight of cabin bag- I usually put DSLR, lens, ipads, & compact in my solid sided cabin wheelie so it’s all under my direct control- but then, unlike you, I don’t take 6 lenses on holiday!

It will be as ever down to cash, convenience and whether the extra outlay is justified.

Where have we heard this before ….It’s not just the boys who lust after new toys!!

Comment

I'm off to Yellowstone later in the year and this is a wildlife/landscape trip so need to take quite a bit of stuff.

Baggage limits for carry on varies from airline to airline. I'm flying with Delta and they restrict size but not weight! Usual dodge is to put big lens in your pocket for checkin/boarding if weight is an issue.

If you go full frame then the 16-35 f4 is a brilliant combo. My first choice for landscape. Use the 24-105 as a walk round lens.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks Tony.

The 16-35 f4 L seems to have a lot of fans and in vast landscapes sounds just the job.

Yellowstone.............that should be something really special!

Comment

I'll go against the flow and say taking the 24-105 is your best option, as wider than 24mm distortion starts to creep in.
                    I'm no landscape tog so my 16-35 is just collecting dust, its a lens i just can't live with were as the 24-105 i just can't live without lol.

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                      Thanks Tony.

The 16-35 f4 L seems to have a lot of fans and in vast landscapes sounds just the job.

Yellowstone.............that should be something really special!
                      If you take a look at my Flickr page you'll see most all landscape shots on Skye October last year are taken with the 16-35. Circular polariser good addition too.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

I'll throw a spanner in the works and question the move to full frame...I made that move a few years back with the 5D3 because I needed two card slots for weddings.....I have no reservations about using my 100D and STM lenses....it's hard to see a difference in most cases, so for travelling is it the right time to switch? I'd take a memory card to a shop and get some shots from both formats to make your comparison.
                        If you still go full frame....then I agree with 24-105 and 17-40......I've never has a 16-35 but it seems more popular now. In the same space and for the weight you could cover the equivalebt range of 28mm-400mm and throw in the 24 and 50 STM with APS-C body.
                        I have 10-18, 18-55, 55-200, 24 and 50 and 100D in a small bag whereas I need a rucksack for my FF....why be limited. I'm sure the 6DII is fabulous and if that's what you'll enjoy most then that's the way to go.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have kept out of this for a while, noting other members comments before I offer mine.

If it were a photographic expedition, I would take everything plus the kitchen sink. A family holiday is a bit different and you don't want to spoil other family members experience, by waiting a couple of hours to get the perfect light, so sensible compromises have to be made.

It would be very convenient to have just one body and one lens. But to cover most eventualities there are just too many compromises in the design and construction of multi x zoom lenses. Ok, it is a holiday, but which of those once in a lifetime shots is going to be a stunner and blown up big size to hang on the wall? If you knew in advance, you'd know which lens to take. Nothing would irk me more than to miss that shot of a lifetime, because I didn't take the lens, or the lens I compromised on was of lesser quality and only chosen for convenience.

Therefore I put up with a little inconvenience and take a full frame body and three lenses. For creative landscapes the 17-40mm F4. For most other the 24-70 F2.8 and for telephoto the 100-400.

I don't take all 3 with me everywhere I go. Generally the 17-40 and the 24-70 most of the time, substituting the 100-400 for the 17-40 if I am going anywhere that might require a telephoto. I would much sooner pack a lens and not use it, than not pack the lens and need it. Add in a speedlight, a 1.4x converter, set of neutral grads and a polariser and that should cover most things I want to shoot. I also have a very lightweight, flimsy 4 section tripod, but with my camera bag weight hanging from the tripod head, it adds enough weight to make it stable for those 30second night time shots

I would hate to be reviewing my shots back in the UK and wished I had taken an xx lens etc. There are so many pictures we haven't taken that come under the heading of "if only!".
                          Colin

Comment

Some good points Colin.

As always it's a difficult decision about what to take and what to leave. Agree it's better to take something and not use it rather than the other way round.

For Yellowstone I've decided to take 2 bodies as however unlikely I don't want to risk a potential failure.

Comment

Tony- some great shots with your 16-35 in Skye 2016 but equally lots of goodies from Skye 2015 with your 24-105. That 16-35 is vast !

Some interesting points made and noted, Brian and Colin

Although this is a family trip rather than a photographic one it is nevertheless a trip of a lifetime with some sexy cities as well as the landscape of NZ which has been on my bucket list for ages. I am unlikely to return and I want to grab this chance. So I'm leaning towards the FF although this means capital outlay- as well as more worry with more kit to look after en route.

There's no rush to decide- I am travelling late November so I can see what reviews the 6d ll gets first, as well as rattle the piggy bank.

Comment

Working...
                              X