Travels with a Full Frame Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travels with a Full Frame Camera

When I go home, to Australia, I take the following: Full Frame (5DIII), flash, nifty 50, 16-35, 24-70. 70-200 f2.8 plus 1.4 converter as Koalas are always, and I mean always, right at the top of a huge gum tree and the 1.4 on the 70-200 sure helps out. Circular polarizer is essential, particularly in Aus with the huge bright blue sky.
    If you find you need a tripod then there are plenty of George's Camera Stores across Australia where you can pick up a cheap tripod. Remember this is not a third world country, although some will disagree, so whatever you can get here you can get there.
    David

Comment

Beware when travelling with tripods/monopods in hand luggage....I had mine confiscated by security at Naples Airport even though it folded into a 12 inch length and had legs with the girth of chop sticks.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

In the context of a lifetime non-safari trip, I would definitely go FF with a range of lenses to about 200mm plus a 1.4x. That selection obviously doesn't cover every possible situation but it probably covers 80% unless you want frame-filling shots of individual sheep on distant mountains!

You might want to consider renting a 100-400 when actually in NZ if you want further reach without taking one with you.

Think about which pair of eyes you will use to view the images when you come back - will you use the tourist pair simply recalling memories or will you use the photography pair which will spot every limitation? I'm assuming you will be shooting either RAW or RAW + JPEG?

Of course, once you decide on the body ... then comes the fun of choosing batteries and cards ... :-)

(Having just seen djguk47's mention of the little cuddlies, feel free to replace my mountain sheep with his tree climbing koalas as the distant object metaphor! Not sure if you get koalas in NZ?)
        Last edited by Enigma; 17-07-2017, 12:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
          (Having just seen djguk47's mention of the little cuddlies, feel free to replace my mountain sheep with his tree climbing koalas as the distant object metaphor! Not sure if you get koalas in NZ?)
          Koalas are Aussie through and through.... and NEVER refer to them as Koala Bears as they are NOT bears... Kiwis are.... well... Kiwis..... and they have a funny accent... e.g. sucks is the number between five and seven...
          David

Comment

Koalas are always, and I mean always, right at the top of a huge gum tree
            Thanks Tony that's got me all muxed ip now....!

............though I'm OK on batteries, cards, tripods, shooting RAW.... and what shoes to put in the suitcase.
            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
              .. and what shoes to put in the suitcase.
              Thank goodness for that!

"And now for the tricky part."
              Basil Fawlty
              The Anniversary

Comment

On my FF I tend to take a 24-105 and a 70-200 2.8 with a x2 or 1.4 converter for the 70-200 as that then gives me a good range.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

the 16-35 has great DoF much better than the 24-105, but the 24-105 is a great walkabout lens for the FF so I would take those, even more so if your hitting the villages on your travels
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

With a 6D with two lenses I'd take a 16-35 F4 and the 70-300L. They both work really well with it and were my mainstays. I sold my 24-105 because it got virtually no use once I had the 16-35. The only minor problem with these and the 24-104 is they aren't very fast so I tended to take a 50mm 1.4 Sigma too. That said given the 6D's low light capability it's not that necessary. Another option, kind of an aloud musing would be to not take a longish zoom and get a 200mm prime instead. Enjoy the holiday!
                    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

FWIW if I only take two lenses I take my 24-70 f2.8, which is my out and out workhorse, and the 70-200 f2.8. If I can squirrel away a 50mm f1.4 and a 1.4x converter in a shoe or two, then that sometimes justifies taking an extra pair of shoes, but I suspect yours are not as big as mine!!!

I might explore a wider wide angle zoom sometime, but I hardly ever used my 16-35 before it was stolen, nor my 8-15, the latter being a fun lens rather than a must have.

You will have a fantastic time!

Richard
                      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Everyone is going to as we see, to have different preferences, but that in all honesty is simply down to our favourite subject matter.
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Plenty to think about with your responses, so many thanks

...... that in all honesty is simply down to our favourite subject matter.
                          And there's the rub. There may be stunning landscapes and skyscrapers but the thought of being without some kind of long reach for weeks on end is worrying- for the koala up a tree or the sneaky shot of an interesting character in the distance, is worrying. So I'll keep pondering!
                          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                          X