Comparing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparing.

Having bought a SX730 Sureshot compact for when I don't want to carry heavy stuff around (see "Advice on Downsizing" in this section) I thought I would try a comparison....

Went to our local Jazz and Blues Festival to hear and see Ricky Cool and the In Crowd belt out some R and B. Weather dull and overcast, I was about 20yards from the stage so telephoto stuff was needed, so tried the 7D with the 100-400 IS L and the little SX730 with its X40 zoom.

Which is which (without cheating and going into the exif data)??

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Comparing.

both look quite good but the second I think is the DSLR - the colours and skin tones look much better

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Oops!! Misnamed the new compact - it is the PowerShot SX730 HS.
      Cheers, Chris.
      Just chuggin' along.

Comment

I'm agreeing with Stan , looking at the detail on the suit and snare drum as well.

NO problem with these wee beasties, lovely to slip into the pocket and a bonus on the aching shoulders but will inevitably lose out when you start to raise the ISO. Also converging verticals can be a problem with the megazooms
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Yep agree think the second is the DSLR. Bit more punch/detail.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I agree, it is also a little crisper.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Another vote for the 2nd image

Tom

Comment

What a shock it will be if we are all wrong, as I say 2 as well. Come on Chris tell us.

Comment

Should have known better than to try and challenge members of this forum!
                  Yes, you were all right - 2 was the 7D + 100-400L.
                  But, what has impressed me so far is the obvious adequacy of the SX730 for the use I intend for it - lightweight holiday, grandkids etc. No problem with 6 X 4 prints for the family album or posting on FaceBook etc.
                  Having checked out performance on distant objects I am about to try at the "other end" - the macro side of things, comparing against the 100mm L IS macro. Will post comparisons later.
                  Tried it by the side of the East Coast Main Line near Peterborough on that nice Mr Branson's Virgin trains zooming past at 125mph - shutter speed, focus etc coped well but there is more noticeable shutter lag than on DSLR stuff - until I got the hang of it the 125 HST "nose-cone" units were missing the nose cone as it had passed out of the frame....
                  Cheers, and thanks, Chris.
                  Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
                  X