Canon 5D IV battery life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 5D IV battery life

I am finding the batteries in my 5D IV seem to run down much more quickly than I found with my 7D or 5D III, especially when turned off. In particular when not in use for a week or so the battery is often nearly flat, or goes flat when I start to use it.

I have the camera set so wifi is off and the GPS is off when the camera is turned off.

Today I turned on the camera, checked the"Canon" battery, 64%, 10 minutes later camera dies and battery appears flat (ie when charged single flash on charger). It seems the power remaining is not properly reported.

I have a mix of batteries but have yet to research if generics are worse then "Canon" ones.

Has anyone else experienced this.

Re: Canon 5D IV battery life

Hello and welcome to the EOS Forum.

It would appear that all (most) of Canon's newest bodies are not as good at retaining battery power than their predecessors. I noticed this when I changed to the MKII version of my camera and after a couple of days shooting, thought I would have got more shots out of the MKI body. It wasn't significant, but enough to notice.

The 5D MKIV also falls into the same category and many have remarked about the more limited battery life. You appear to have done the two major things to limit power loss by turning off WI-FI and GPS, but ensuring your rear screen is set to standard, rather than brighter also helps. You may also check whether the auto power off is activated.

It would also appear that the problem is not so bad after a couple of weeks of shooting, but whether that is because the battery has conditioned itself with use, or the users have got used to the situation, I don't know. On the plus side, you don't appear have a major fault, it just seems to be the nature of the beast and does tend to settle down.

Hope that helps.
    Colin

Comment

I bought a couple of new, genuine Canon batteries with my IV and can't say I've noticed any problems. I have Wi-Fi off but leave GPS in the auto-sleep setting. The battery does drain if the camera is not used for several weeks but nothing which I consider a problem.

Note that Canon introduced a newer "N" version of the battery with a slightly higher power capacity - that's the version I am using.

Comment

I too can't say that I have noticed any difference in the battery life with my 5d4, compared to my 5d3, but then I hadn't really taken that much notice.

If there is a difference, it can't much, as I would have noticed it.

I always carry a spare battery, any these are of the new 'N' type as mentioned.
        Dave

Comment

On the subject of battery life, I find that the battery in my Canon 6D(Mk1) keeps very well (Canon battery) whereas the Canon battery in my 760D runs down fairly quickly when I don't use the camera for a few days. Of course I have another Canon battery as spare and I always take a spare battery when out "shooting"! I have noted Colin C's comments on this matter although with different cameras. One other point is that when I use the 760 fairly often, the battery seems to last longer!!!!!!
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 14-09-2017, 21:44.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have exactly the same problem with a 5DS. The battery loses charge very quickly when not in use. To the extent that I bought a second battery in case of fault. This is exactly the same. If a fully charged battery is used on a "busy" day the performance is OK and the quoted number of exposures in the manual can be achieved but it is not possible to trust the state of the battery. I had a 5D for 10 years and never saw this issue. The loss is rapid. I put a charged battery in the camera on Monday morning and the state of charge is now 85%. The only camera use has been to check the battery level twice - when I put it in (99% showing) and just now.

Comment

I haven't noticed any difference between my 5D4 and 5D3, but there may be scenarios I guess that affect it.
              You usually see a few firmware updates in the early days and i guess if there are issues here will be addressed.
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                I haven't noticed any difference between my 5D4 and 5D3, but there may be scenarios I guess that affect it.
                You usually see a few firmware updates in the early days and i guess if there are issues here will be addressed.
                same here not really noticed much
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'm noticing this with the 6D Mk II - but as it's quite new, I just assumed it was because the batteries are still in their "conditioning" phase.

I did a shoot on Sunday and the battery in the camera indicated about 50% charge, so I pocketed a spare for the shoot. After about 200 photographs, it was down to 38%!

It's like the fuel gauge in a car - sometimes they run forever on a third of a tank, then ... nothing!

I suspect it's something I'll have to get used to. I have one Canon and three other batteries, but only the Canon is the LP-E6N
                  Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

I find that the battery in my Canon 6D( Mk1) lasts a long time even when not in use but the battery in my 760D loses power when left unused for a few days. I therefore check my battery life in the 760D before I take the camera out. I do have a spare,fully charged battery of course.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I noticed my 6D Mk II is thirstier for battery power than my old Mk I so I've bought a second Canon LP-E6N. Not cheap are they.....
                      - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Not cheap are they.....
                        Count your blessings Tony. I needed a second mortgage for a 1Dx MKII battery!
                        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
                          I noticed my 6D Mk II is thirstier for battery power than my old Mk I so I've bought a second Canon LP-E6N. Not cheap are they.....
                          problem is Tony its a bloody expensive paperweight if you don't buy new batteries
                          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            Count your blessings Tony. I needed a second mortgage for a 1Dx MKII battery!
                            I thought £68 was enough.......
                            - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                              problem is Tony its a bloody expensive paperweight if you don't buy new batteries
                              I know and I've never wanted to risk unbranded Chinese batteries
                              - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X