MPB advertEOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 5D IV battery life

Default Re: Canon 5D IV battery life

I noticed my 6D Mk II is thirstier for battery power than my old Mk I so I've bought a second Canon LP-E6N. Not cheap are they.....
    - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Not cheap are they.....
    Count your blessings Tony. I needed a second mortgage for a 1Dx MKII battery!
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
    I noticed my 6D Mk II is thirstier for battery power than my old Mk I so I've bought a second Canon LP-E6N. Not cheap are they.....
    problem is Tony its a bloody expensive paperweight if you don't buy new batteries
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Quote Originally Posted by colin C View Post
    Count your blessings Tony. I needed a second mortgage for a 1Dx MKII battery!
    I thought £68 was enough.......
    - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    problem is Tony its a bloody expensive paperweight if you don't buy new batteries
    I know and I've never wanted to risk unbranded Chinese batteries
    - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

We demand ever more powerfull cameras all that processing power does take it out of the batteries ,BUT they really shouldn't drain when not in use ,has anyone who's battery seems to drain when not in use tried taking out the battery when not in use to see if that makes a difference ,if it's still losing charge when disconnected I would seriously consider contacting canon

Everyone! How happy are you with your 5D Mark IV?
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

THe new cameras no longer have a button cell to maintain the date etc. I suspect that whatever device lies deep in the camera to maintain these functions requires charging and this can only come from the main battery. This may account for the drain when the camera is not in use. As to the performance when in use I have found that to be perfectly normal. I get 800 - 900 shots from a single battery. I normally have two batteries in the grip and can shoot 800 shots and still have around 65% capacity in both batteries.
    Alan

5DMk IV, 5D Mk III, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

If Canon bodies now have a problem with poor battery life when stored then they need to get it sorted. A camera that goes flat in a few days is little more than a doorstop if you have to charge it whenever you want it, after all there are often times when you just grab and go if the photo opportunity is there...

Luckily none of my bodies seem to have this issue and can be reliably left for a few weeks and still be shooting ready - mind you none have power draining options like GPS or WiFi either.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
    THe new cameras no longer have a button cell to maintain the date etc. I suspect that whatever device lies deep in the camera to maintain these functions requires charging and this can only come from the main battery. This may account for the drain when the camera is not in use.
    I assume (but donít know for certain) that it has an RTC chip supported by a capacitor fed from the battery otherwise it would lose date and time each time the battery was removed. Might be interesting to see how long the clock survives when the battery is removed ... while waiting for the paint to dry perhaps ... :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12