Canon 5D IV battery life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon 5D IV battery life

We demand ever more powerfull cameras all that processing power does take it out of the batteries ,BUT they really shouldn't drain when not in use ,has anyone who's battery seems to drain when not in use tried taking out the battery when not in use to see if that makes a difference ,if it's still losing charge when disconnected I would seriously consider contacting canon

Comment

Everyone! How happy are you with your 5D Mark IV?
      Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Comment

THe new cameras no longer have a button cell to maintain the date etc. I suspect that whatever device lies deep in the camera to maintain these functions requires charging and this can only come from the main battery. This may account for the drain when the camera is not in use. As to the performance when in use I have found that to be perfectly normal. I get 800 - 900 shots from a single battery. I normally have two batteries in the grip and can shoot 800 shots and still have around 65% capacity in both batteries.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

If Canon bodies now have a problem with poor battery life when stored then they need to get it sorted. A camera that goes flat in a few days is little more than a doorstop if you have to charge it whenever you want it, after all there are often times when you just grab and go if the photo opportunity is there...

Luckily none of my bodies seem to have this issue and can be reliably left for a few weeks and still be shooting ready - mind you none have power draining options like GPS or WiFi either.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
            THe new cameras no longer have a button cell to maintain the date etc. I suspect that whatever device lies deep in the camera to maintain these functions requires charging and this can only come from the main battery. This may account for the drain when the camera is not in use.
            I assume (but don’t know for certain) that it has an RTC chip supported by a capacitor fed from the battery otherwise it would lose date and time each time the battery was removed. Might be interesting to see how long the clock survives when the battery is removed ... while waiting for the paint to dry perhaps ... :-)

Comment

I have owned the original 5D, a MKIII and now the MKIV.

I often leave the camera untouched in its bag for some weeks at a time and never before the MKIV have I pulled the camera from the bag and found a battery completely flat.

When I put it away the battery was at 100% but when I took the MKIV from its bag yesterday and turned it on and it was completely flat. This was with the LP-E6N.

Not sure exactly how long it was in the bag but I only bought it in August this year and would have spent weeks playing with it before I put it back in its bag.

I'm quite fussy with batteries and it would have fully charged before putting it away so even giving it the benefit of the doubt I am guessing would have been packed away for @12 weeks max with GPS set to Mode 2, Every Minute and GPS logging disabled.

Definitely harder on batteries than its predecessors IMHO...

-=Glyn=-

Comment

Working...
              X