Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside the Dome...

... of St. Paul's Cathedral.

This is between the Stone Gallery (52 mts and 376 steps high) and the Golden Gallery (85 mts and 528 steps high) and just below the start of the leaded dome.

Inside the dome by John Leah, on Flickr

The first part of the climb to the Stone Gallery (via the Whispering Gallery) is by spiral staircase with conventional, wide stone steps. From there it becomes a narrow iron spiral staircase conveying so many people that stopping to catch a breath is impossible let alone pondering to inspect the architecture and take photographs.

A poor quality grab shot to illustrate the point:

Higher inside the dome by John Leah, on Flickr

At the top there is just time for some quick shots of the view (dodging the inevitable mass of selfie sticks) before being ushered down again. I did take some I was happy with but there have been examples submitted by others so I won't impose them here

Cheers,
    John

Re: Inside the Dome...

like the first but how did you manage to take the shot - I understood no photography was allowed inside the cathedral, at least according to the Photographers London book, which is why in all our London visits over the past couple of years we have never gone inside and I object to having to pay an entrance charge to visit a church !!

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan

Quite correct as there is officially 'no photography or videoing' inside but, from what I saw, few were complying.

That said, despite personally being far from religious, I'm not comfortable taking photographs while those who are may be having a quiet word so don't and the only three shots I did take inside were while climbing the iron staircase to document the architecture so in arguably a secular part of the cathedral. I also took three of the view from the outside galleries but they were also rushed shots as the stewards repeatedly called out "please move along when you've taken your photographs" clearly giving sanction.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Love that first shot, very well seen.

I would think since the widespread use of phone cameras, the no photography rule is very hard to police. I would be uncomfortable taking photo's during a service, but aside from that, I would be discreetly using the camera.
        Colin

Comment

1st image nicely done

Tom

Comment

Quite correct as there is officially 'no photography or videoing' inside but, from what I saw, few were complying.

That said, despite personally being far from religious, I'm not comfortable taking photographs while those who are may be having a quiet word so don't and the only three shots I did take inside were while climbing the iron staircase to document the architecture so in arguably a secular part of the cathedral. I also took three of the view from the outside galleries but they were also rushed shots as the stewards repeatedly called out "please move along when you've taken your photographs" clearly giving sanction.
            interesting John but checking the exif, realise you were using a discrete Canon Powershot, so dont think I would get away with my 7DII with the 24 - 105 and carrying the obvious photography backpack
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Working...
            X