Anyone security tagged their gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone security tagged their gear?

And if you have how have you done it? I have it all insured and every item of lenses and bodies etc with serials on are registered with the insurance and with Canon, but I was wondering has anyone tagged the other stuff without a serial and how, I have some items that are not serial numbered, tripods, gimbals, pano heads etc and would like to mark those as they have no serial numbers, I was wondering how you went about it.

Smartwater? Datatag etc, obviously I would like it not to deface the items but would like to know if anyone has found a safe way to do it.
    Last edited by TonyT; 19-07-2017, 14:19.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: Anyone security tagged their gear?

Some of my older stuff has my post code written on with a UV pen, but I must admit I've not marked the newer stuff in any way, and things have moved on since then.
    John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

I had considered that, but they say it fades with time / light.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I think that if you want some sort of permanent marking without defacement you will have to bite the bullet and open your wallet to get some smartwater or the like. On the other hand, I would have thought that most non-numbered items (such as your gimbal etc) would have at least one face/location which is not visible in use where you could use a vibratory etching tool to inscribe your own serial number and/or name.
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

This is all well and good. However, what happens when you want to upgrade your equipment and sell the security tagged ones to someone else?
          I think the best way forward is to register the numbers in your insurance form. The others are of less value and can always be replaced, if they are stolen.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

That is what I was thinking as well John, it appears sadly to be the only option, there is nowhere to engrave onto them and I think that will ruin them, so that way is a no no.. I have seen the microdots, but when you blob the glue on does it leave a visible blob etc... smartwater seems a good option except you then are paying yearly for it.

Nat, they do not carry serial numbers which is my concern, everything that has them is registered already with the insurance, I just wanted to mark those items that are not, I did think about what you said, re-selling on, but if they are stolen and recovered from the new owner, the plods would contact me as the security would show me as the owner, I could then tell the police who I sold them on too.
            The less value items are not really less valuable, to replace my Gimbal alone you are looking at serious enthusiast-level DSLR body prices. I know, daft really, but I got it at good prices and the Gimbal means I have another Gimbal and also a Panoramic set up I can sell on to another home, as it replaces both of them..
            Last edited by TonyT; 20-07-2017, 13:38.

Comment

I take your point Tony and thats unfortunately the world that we are living in at the moment. I have done what you have done but for items less than £1500 (per item) I don't have to declare and so if that is stolen, I have to replace it with a new one. For items above £1500 (per item) without any serial numbers, you might have to etch something on it for permanancy's sake.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Insurance is happy with them unmarked, but I would hate to think of some toe rag getting away with them, if they say pinched all the stuff I normally have in the boot when out with my camera, the tripods and heads I wasn't using etc could come to over £2-3,000, it sounds a lot, but a couple of tripods and a Gimbal and that's over that. BTW they are covered in my car boot insurance wise.

Comment

Just read about a photographer who was shot and killed at a popular San Francisco tourist spot.

Seems expensive camera gear is now being stolen in preference to mobile phones due to the deactivation measures put in place for mobiles.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

What I've done is engrave my Post Code and date of birth as a number on all my gear without a serial number, then I photograph those items showing the Post Code and Number.
                    All you need is a Dremal Tool and a diamond point and away you go.
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Further to my last post. I have a steel 'Tool Safe' in the boot of my car that is chained to holdfast under the rear seats. Tool Safes can be bought from Building Material suppliers. Their real purpose being to install in vans for holding portable tools such as drills etc.
                      Ideal if you have to leave some of your gear in the boot at any time. In my case they could well break into the boot, but it would take a long time to hack through the chains or smash the lock - the same type that is used on gun safes.
                      Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                        Further to my last post. I have a steel 'Tool Safe' in the boot of my car that is chained to holdfast under the rear seats. Tool Safes can be bought from Building Material suppliers. Their real purpose being to install in vans for holding portable tools such as drills etc.
                        Ideal if you have to leave some of your gear in the boot at any time. In my case they could well break into the boot, but it would take a long time to hack through the chains or smash the lock - the same type that is used on gun safes.

That is an interesting idea, one thing that concerned me was carrying lenses etc, I was always tempted to leave some in the boot, but say going back to the car and changing the 500 to a zoom, I was always wary of those watching so never did, and carried the minimum of lenses, a safe in the trunk would reduce that worry. Still not sure about etching though.

Comment

I tend to go for a black interior and a black Rottweiler.

Very difficult to steal when your arms have just been eaten ............. isn't nature marvellous!
                          Colin

Comment

Colin, When I say engrave, I don't mean lens and camera, they already have serial numbers on them, I'm talking about tripod, monopod, that sort of thing. I know this will lower the price if you want to sell, but I don't think I will be up-grading at my age now!!!
                            The Tool Safe is the ideal situation if you have to leave gear in the car. If I'm out with gear in the car and park up, I always park well out in the open, never with the boot backing up to an hedge. Car thieves like to snatch/grab and go, they don't hang about trying to break in to say a safe.
                            A little story to enhance the use of a safe. We have a friend who is a very much into shooting, he's got a Gun/Tool safe in his car for his guns. He had it fitted by bolting it to the boot floor. He lost the keys! They had to cut through the lock with an Angle Grinder to open it, they then had to lower the fuel tank to get at the nuts that were holding the safe to the car. I must admit nothing is 100% - they can always steal the car!!!!
                            Trev

Flickr:

Comment

I would generate a computer hash of my name / address / DoB and engrave that. The result would appear totally meaningless but would almost certainly be accepted as irrefutable proof of identity because the likelihood of either a duplicate or random hash matching your own is on a par with DNA odds ... it has the advantage of not reducing the resale value other than by any amount associated with the physical marking on the equipment ...

Comment

Working...
                              X