Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Tit in various modelling "poses"!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great Tit in various modelling "poses"!!!!!!

[QUOTE=JanHarper;395062]A lovely set of images.

When you said: "P.S the "improvement" you have mentioned Chris is because I am shooting within the limitations of my 70-300mm + 1.4 Kenko TC . By doing this, I can get my images quite sharp, which in turn allows me to crop them to reasonable levels without losing IQ." Could you explain what you do?

Thanks Janet for your comments. Regarding your first question, by shooting within the limits of my lens, I get a a very sharp image, using your usual settings for TV/AV/ISO etc. I usually set my TV to a speed that would avoid camera shake, even with IS turned on! By "limits" I mean that it is no use shooting a subject which is too far away, which your lens cannot cope with i.e it makes the subject very small. If you then try to enlarge the subject by cropping, it doesn't give you a sharp image. By shooting within the limits of your lens i.e 672mm in my case (760D + 300mm +1.4TC+ crop factor of 1.6) I get the subject quite sharp and then by zooming the image this way and that way when processing, you can see how far you can crop and enlarge the image. Having said this, I try to shoot at a maximum distance of approx 550mm, not at my maximum of 672mm, if I can help it.

I NEVER TRY TO EMULATE OTHER PHOTOGRAPHERS WHO ARE WITH ME, WITH THEIR VERY LONG LENSES, WHILST I AM TAKING MY PHOTOGRAPHS.

I hope all this helps you.

Nat

P.S- I wish to add that this advice,about shooting within the limits of your lens was given to me,some years ago by that master Colin Cross when we met up in Slimbridge many years ago. I saw him walking around with two hefty lenses dangling by either side of his waist (like a bongo player!!) but he gave me good advice then. I have not always followed it by trying to photograph outside my limits but the results have always been very poor- i.e too soft etc.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 22-07-2017, 10:58.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
    X