Silent Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silent Mode

A lot of the EOS range has a "Silent" mode. In continuous mode this slows down the frame rate. My question is; given that it is offered as an option and not as the default for single frame mode, is there some technical reason not to use the silent mode whilst shooting single frames?
    Flickr
    Web Page
    Instagram
    Facebook

Re: Silent Mode

The Silent Mode is available for situations where the normal sound of the shutter could be a disadvantage, such as some wildlife shots. As you rightly state, it does slow everything down, so you wouldn't want to engage it under normal circumstances.
    Colin

Comment

Yes, but my question is why is "Silent" mode offered as an option to for single shot mode rather than as the default. If I am using single shot mode speed is clearly not of the essence. It therefore occurs to me that there must be some negative aspect to this mode, otherwise why is it not the default for single shot mode.
      Flickr
      Web Page
      Instagram
      Facebook

Comment

I would say the reason for not setting silent mode as default is the fact that everything happens more slowly. The reduction in noise is achieved by reducing the speed at which the mirror rises and returns - either by increasing the damping or slowing the mirror drive. The net result is a longer viewfinder blackout time and, more importantly, a significantly greater degree of shutter lag - ie the time between pressing the shutter button and the shutter actually operating.

While an increased lag may not make much difference in a landscape picture where nothing moves it potentially can be an issue where, for instance, the subject of the picture may be moving meaning either subject has moved away from where you want them to be due to the increased lag or you have to press the shutter much earlier in order to allow the subject to be in the desired place when the shutter actually opens.

A lot of people also find the blackout slightly disconcerting anyway and anything that increases it is unlikely to be popular...

Personally I'd rather live with the extra noise for the convenience of a rapid return to readiness and a greater chance of the subject being where I want it...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Nigel, that all makes sense. For my if I'm shooting single frame then speed is not of the essence. otherwise I'd be using one of the continuous modes
          Flickr
          Web Page
          Instagram
          Facebook

Comment

Working...
          X