A Doodlebug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Doodlebug

So you may wonder what a Doodlebug is. I know I did when I I heard it. Some facts on the Doodlebug. There are only 12 left in existence and 3 are operational. This is one of the 3 that is located in Kutztown, Pa, which is a 45 min drive from my house. So what is a Doodlebug? A doodlebug or hoodlebug is a name for a type of self-propelled railcar most commonly configured with both a passenger and freight compartment

The SWMBO and I went out to ride the Allentown & Auburn Railroad in Kutztown. I took along the EOS M4 with the new Tamron 18-400. If you want to see more images of the day's event as how the Tamron did, you can view them on my FB Account

The Doodlebug:

Doodlebug by tesarver, on Flickr
    f/6.3 @ 227mm, ISO 500, 1/320

24mm @ f/5.0, ISO 100, 1/125

18mm @ f/5.0, ISO 100, 1/160

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: A Doodlebug

Interesting Tom, and some nice shots.

For me, the word doodlebug conjures up firstly the V1 rocket from WW2, and secondly some kind of beetle that I vaguely remember from my childhood. I'd never have associated it with a railcar in a million years!
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks for stopping by Chris

Comment

A Doodlebug is a 1940's German vengeance weapon, the flying bomb, designed to bomb the crap out of London and other south coast cities.

I much prefer your version Tom, far less scary!

Colin

Comment

That's an interesting piece of kit Tom...

Useless fact of the day part 2... Doodlebugs are also ant-lion larvae! Your's is just a tad bigger
          Cheers;
          Lee
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
          All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
          5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
          17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Nice series Tom. Thanks for sharing.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Great images and story Tom
              Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Thanks Colin, Lee, Nat and Derek for stopping by

Tom

Comment

My first thought was the misile as you would this side of the pond....an interesting piece of living history there....thanks for sharing the history....nice images too.
                  Looks like that lens is a good investment.....I'm thinking about how I take out three lenses to get that range!
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Tom....you're FB link didn't work when I tried it?
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Thanks Brian, the FB link worked for me, what error message did you get?

Comment

This page is not available

Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Are you on FB? I get in ok when I click on it and the permissions are set to public.

Comment

Tom,

Fantastic shots of a very interesting piece of railway history.

The lens looks good as well!

The was a British Steam Locomotive nicknamed 'Doodlebug' by some - Ivatt Class 4- of which one, 43016 - is preserved on the Severn Valley Railway in the UK. I've some images of it somewhere (probably slides!).
                            Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Thanks Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X