Black and white will never be lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black and white will never be lost

While traditional darkroom processing is mostly dead and gone (perhaps), I believe that b & w photography will always have a place in imaging - especially when trying to convey emotion in a piece. This may end up being a flop where no one posts, but I'd love to have folks post their own b&w portraits/general shots to this post which they feel really utilized black and white to enhance the focus on the emotion of the image.

C and C on my image below are welcomed and appreciated but I also posted it to hopefully get an interesting but loosely themed thread started. (shot with a 5d, 24-70mm2.8L with novatron strobes)

Thanks for contributing.

Shawn
    Attached Files

Re: Black and white will never be lost

Superb preggers shot.
    "Who is Number 1?" "I am not a number, I am a person."

Comment

Yes, B&W will never die - it is always important to concentrate on tone, texture and shape and not just colour....
      www.garywhite-photography.com
      Gary White, MPhil
      Travel Photographer

Comment

Thank you number 6 and Gary for stopping by and commenting.

Comment

Most of my photography masters students still use film (especially medium format) for their final thesis and also many want to use black and white only....
          Gary White, MPhil
          Travel Photographer

Comment

That's good to hear. Not to start the traditional debate, but I think film is invaluable as a learning tool especially, as one does not get instant feedback and appreciates the process of getting things correct the first time.

Comment

And understanding the basics of physics - e.g. depth of field!
              Gary White, MPhil
              Travel Photographer

Comment

I loved your photo spud, excellent.
                I am now a digital girl, as i could not afford all the costs of film photography. I am still trying to figure out how to take b&w photo's as you have to look at things in a different way to colour. its interesting
                RuthieC

Comment

Thanks for stopping by Ruthie. Indeed, financial is one of the things that tips the scale back to digital. Additionally, if you are trying to master a certain techniqu, digital can give you instant feedback. 100 pictures to hopefully get a good one is not so hot, but 100 pictures as one manipulates the relevant variables as a learning process is great.

Not passing judgement on anyone - been guilty of both approaches myself.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

beautiful pic - b&w adds a wonderful element, and is my favourite format, maybe it's coz i used to do develop my own many moons ago.

hoping to take some pregnancy shots in a similar vein - would be pleased with anything half as good as yours!

chris

Comment

thank you for the compliment - sorry for my delay, not as easy as it used to be to see when someone has offered feedback on your thread. Come folks, how bout some black and white stuff

Comment

Taking B&W images is a skill. Not so easy to see the world in shades of light and tone!
                        Well Spud, here's my take.
                        Taken near a derelict building, with the white ball of a lamp to give some roundness and smoothness to everything. This shot wouldn't work in colour, so indeed, B&W will never be lost - well, not yet anyhow...

C&C welcome...
                        Last edited by eeyore; 04-12-2009, 14:37.
                        Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Originally posted by eeyore View Post
                          Taking B&W images is a skill. Not so easy to see the world in shades of light and tone!
                          Well Spud, here's my take.
                          Taken near a derelict building, with the white ball of a lamp to give some roundness and smoothness to everything. This shot wouldn't work in colour, so indeed, B&W will never be lost - well, not yet anyhow...

C&C welcome...
                          well done. people walk by that building everyday and would probably not think about capturing it on film, but when they look at the photo they no doubt get the "that's an interesting shot" feeling. thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                          X