Apple CD/DVD Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple CD/DVD Drives

I need to replace my now expired win7 pc and am looking at getting an iMac to replace it. However I will need to get a DVD drive for it for my music CD's but have read conflicting reports about the apple drive. Has anyone any experience of using it? Any feedback would be appreciated. By the way this forum has been has been very useful in making this decision! Thanks. Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Re: Apple CD/DVD Drives

I have used two Apple USB SuperDrives for a number of years. In my experience they work great with Apple hardware but I had problems trying to use them with non-Apple hardware ...

Comment

Pretty much any USB drive should work. A quick google found one of these at Currys for £24.99 - LG GP57EB40 External Ultraslim DVD Writer - Black

The Apple ones are about three times the price and unless you need it to be bootable which you almost certainly never will are a waste of money, IMHO.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I've seen reports that they were not particularly reliable and they are dear. It doesn't need to be bootable, I need For my dance and music CD's. May also need it to load photoshop elements, depends if I decide to go with the subscription version or not.
        Ian

Comment

I am looking to change my iMac mid 2018 and will need a separate DVD drive when I change. However, my current iMac is early 2008, with the integral DVD drive and I have never had any problems with it. For anything computer related to still be working well after 9 years seems pretty good to me.

So will I go the inexpensive route and save a few pennies, or pay the extra and go for the Mac Superdrive? Well, the pleasure gained from making a small saving will last me about five minutes and from then on, I will berate myself for being such a tight git and putting up with second best.

I will definitely go the Mac route.
          Colin

Comment

An iMac will be a whole new experience for me as I have been wholly Windows both home at at work. My expired Win7 has lasted 7 years. It will be interesting how it interfaces with my iPad
            Ian

Comment

An iMac will be a whole new experience for me
              In my previous life, the whole 6th floor was full of IT nurds. I spoke to one of the tame ones about some Mac training and his response was: forget everything you have learn't in Windows, think about the easiest way to do what you want to do and that's how you do it on a Mac.

I haven't had one lesson on how to use a Mac and haven't needed it.
              Colin

Comment

I managed to get an Apple superdrive thrown in as part of the deal when I bought my latest iMac. I have an old HP CD / DVD drive connected to a USB hub, but I wasn't going to say , "No." when they offered the superdrive.

Now that I have a MacBook Pro without the built-in drive, the superdrive comes into its own, being swapped (on an increasingly infrequent basis) between that and my wife's iMac. It seems to be reliable, and stands up to abuse much better than other portable drives I've used in the past, but to be honest, I'm using USB pen drives more and more these days - it's only the occasional customer who requests photos on CD or DVD.
                Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

(Incidentally, the reason I bought two was because I was transferring about 500 CDs to iTunes and wanted to see if the software would handle parallel uploads. It recognised both drives but would only import from one drive at a time. It saved some time by being able to load one drive while importing from the other but not as much as full parallel imports would have.)

Comment

Getting a drive thrown into the deal is a good idea, i had thought about asking for that as I will be spending quite a lump of money. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Don't think I need two though, one is sufficient for my needs. No one seems to have had any adverse comments about them so I'll go with it.
                    Ian

Comment

The external CD/DVD drive on my iMac doesn't have heavy use, but it has functioned absolutely fine for the last 5 years.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I have mac DVD drive for use with my iMac and find it does all I want it too including copying my cds of music and images . My old iMac had built in drive but when I changed about 4 years ago needed the drive to put software on as well.

I've not regretted it yet.

Sue

Comment

Got a built in DVD drive on the side of my I.mac,never had a problem with that or the built in sd card reader either ,and as I bought mind used from my son who's a Mac fanatic I don't seem to have used a lot of my hardrive space either ,just think of easy to use

Comment

Working...
                          X