Lightroom performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom performance

One of the reasons I stopped using Lightroom was slow performance - all those new features added and no consideration of optimisation meant that for me, LR just got slower and slower.

It seems Adobe have come clean and admitted there's a problem - http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjour...rformance.html

It won't make me go back to LR - I'm fine with manually managing folders and my current workflow for Fuji and Canon - but hopefully this will come as good news to some.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Lightroom performance

I did see information on this where Adobe have stated that performance improvements are on their to do list. However I've never experienced any slow performance on my editing PC. However whilst traveling and using a laptop with limited RAM it was terrible.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

On my MacBook Pro with a Core i5 processor and 8GB ram, performance was dire. I could run all of the stuff I normally run, or I could run LR slowly.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
        On my MacBook Pro with a Core i5 processor and 8GB ram, performance was dire. I could run all of the stuff I normally run, or I could run LR slowly.
        I run the same and the performance is fine - All sorts of 'complaints' are made about Lightroom on this and other forums, I confess that I read most of them with bemusement as I use LR day in and day out without any problems.
        Chris

My Website

Comment

The problem with IT today is that system developers have become lazy. Optimization takes time and effort and why should they bother when the hardware keeps getting more and more powerful. This trend has been going on for years and I see no sign that it will change. The punters keeep wanting more features so the developers keep adding them without regard to the performance drop.
          I'm using Lightroom on 3 different PCs a Laptop with a Core i3 processor and 8GB ram, (Very slow), Tower PC with Core i5 and 32 GB ram and a tower PC with Core i7 and 32 GB ram. There is very little difference in performance of the two tower PC's suggesting that memory is a critical factor rather than processor. Both Tower systems also have an SSD that has the operating system and programmes on.
          I suspect that Adobe will improve certain performance aspects but they will then add new features and we will return to square one. That's progress for you. (I pent most of my working life in IT and this trend has been around for years).
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

As a software developer, I agree that it is not high priority to make things as efficient as possible when the hardware does it for you. This comes from "on high", not the developers themselves, who in my experience almost always want to do their very best, but are rarely given the resources to do so. And of course, occasionally issues will manifest themselves on lower spec hardware.

Also, in the "bang for buck" stakes, RAM is almost always the most effective option for performance, although an SSD will also help. I had little choice but to upgrade my laptop once I started processing large numbers of RAW files - I had maxed out the RAM on my old one at 4GB and it really did struggle!
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Mine is running ok providing I don't restart the computer...it takes ages to get started if I do that but otherwise I've not seen a decline.
              I upgraded my RAM in my 27" MAC for 4GB to 20GB...it didn't seem to make any difference at the time (5yrs ago) but maybe now its saved me from slow down.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I wasn't suggesting that the people at the coal face were to blame for the lack of optimization, I am all to aware that this will be a policy decision by 'the bosses'. Intel and the like absolutely love this as it spurs us all to go out and buy new kit which then allows for more software enhancements and so the process goes on. It is the cycle that keeps the IT industry going.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

Comment

What Intel gives us Microsoft take away
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Beautifully put, Brian!
                    Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X