AF micro adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF micro adjustment

I really like my APSC kit.....a bargain for a total £1000 I have a 100D, 24mm, 50mm, 10-18mm, 18-55mm and 55-250mm....amazing value....

now Ive discovered a little drawback....no micro adjustment.

Is there any work around anyone?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: AF micro adjustment

Have you done any focussing tests and found a problem Brian?

I would have thought that the Pro and Prosumer bodies are more likely to be used in areas where absolute critical focussing could be an issue, hence the ability for micro adjustment. It would need a certain amount of experience and confidence to be able to carry out this function properly by photographers such as ourselves.

Many of the higher end functionality is omitted from other bodies because it may not be needed, the user from the target market for that body may not possess the skills to use them, or to keep the costs down at what is a very competitive market for those bodies. Also, the target market is much more likely to use it for more general photography, where the absolute critical focussing that we require is not necessary. I have micro adjusted many bodies generally and to specific lenses and I haven't found a situation where stopping the lens down 1 stop from wide open wouldn't have given the same result.

However, I am aware that in the past, certain non Canon firmware upgrades were available on the net that unlocked further functions on certain bodies. It may be worthwhile doing a search and seeing what you can come up with, failing that, stop down and let the depth of field overcome any focussing inadequacies.
    Colin

Comment

i agree with colin ,especially as the longest lens you have the 55-250 wouldn't really take to m.a being a low range zoom.and if you at some point in the future decided to get something along the lines of a sigma 150-600 where focus might be more critical, these days it can be done simply in lens with the usb hub/dock .

Comment

Thanks...as I thought really....the 50mm f1.8 STM seems to be focussing a little further away than the focus point indicates....ok this is at f1.8....if I focus on some writing on a notepad lying on a desk at say 45 degree angle then the sharp point is two or three lines of text further up the pad. Its rare this will be a problem but its nice to have everything spot on.
        i know its different for each lens....most notably I had to set the 5D3 specifically for the 50mm f1.2.
        Its a shame is missing from the 100D....I assume its on the XXD range and above.
        Thanks for your time on this.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
        X