Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please re an enlargement- Kingfisher

Hello,

I have been requested for a 6x12 enlargement of one of my Kingfisher photos which has appeared in various papers here. I will certainly look at the sharpest picture for this job.

Any idea as to (a) how much I should charge (b) any good lab that would do a decent job. My friend,who is also the local Notary would like one for his office and one for his home.

I will certainly give the proceeds to the Cathedral- split between two choirs, as I am not in the business of making money at my age.

Many thanks

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Advice please re an enlargement- Kingfisher

DS Colour Labs are the obvious choice. I use them based on recommendations from here and have no complaints.
    Professional Photo Printing, UK`S Leading Professional Photo Printing Lab, Large format printing, Prints Printed on Fuji professional photo paper.

What to charge is always difficult so perhaps, as it's for a 'good cause', just ask them what they're prepared to pay.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Thanks John. Yes, I will use the Colour lab suggested by you.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Assume the pictures were quite large crops, in which case you need to check the pixel dimensions to see if there are enough to be able to make a print of the size you need - 6 x 12 is an odd size which I am not sure can be done without large white borders, the standard size would be 12 x 8 and for that you would need pixel dimensions of 3600 x 2400 to retain detail.

When you upload to DSColour the software will give you an idea if the shot will print at a good quality - green for good and red for ..........not worth going ahead

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan. Good advice. My friend has not yet given me the exact size he wants but will do so soon. I will suggest 12x8.

Comment

Further to your comment, Stan, the software came out as Green and I am going in for 10x8, as it is easier for my friend to get frames to fit that size. Furthermore my friend in turn wishes to frame the picture and give it as a gift to his Dentist, who is rather mad about K.fishers. First time I have used this Lab and the good thing is it is situated in Stockport, which is not too far away from me. Furthermore the Lab Manager is very approachable and helpful as well.

Comment

If you are local then I think you can do a pick up rather than pay postage which is £5.99 I think, rather expensive if you only have one shot to print

We have been using them for years for most of our competition and selling prints and they are always good

flickr

Comment

My apologies for being a nuisance but being the first time for me,let me know whether this is a good idea. My friend wanted my name on the print and details of where I took the photo, so that it is all there when the framed print is presented to the Dentist. I don't know whether you get your name also printed at the bottom of the photo.

I am getting two prints done (different poses). The postage cost is £4.99, still quite expensive but it is a 60 mile journey for me (one way).
                Last edited by Nathaniel; 03-08-2017, 13:15.

Comment

My friend wanted my name on the print and details of where I took the photo, so that it is all there when the framed print is presented to the Dentist. I don't know whether you get your name also printed at the bottom of the photo
                  the printers dont do that but you can easily put your name and location etc along the bottom of the photo yourself just by using the text tool in PS elements

still quite expensive but it is a 60 mile journey for me (one way).
                  thats not very local then - be cheaper to pay the postage and usually the photos will arrive next day if you upload before 3 pm the previous day

flickr

Comment

Ive been using Loxley Colour,very impressed ,had image mounted on a 3mm board.
                    www.flickr.com/photos/kingfisherblue www.johncaswellwildlifephotography.com

Canon 5Dmk4 ,Canon 7D mk11,Canon 7D,Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L is 11 USM . Canon100mm f2.8 Macro ,Canon 24-105 F4, 1.4 x111 ext

Comment

Thanks Stan, once again, and John for your advice.

Comment

ds colour labs normally only post out to the customer nat ,theres no need to travel to stockport .they are very good indeed just follow there templates and its usually next day delivery

Comment

Originally posted by John_Caswell View Post
                          I've been using Loxley Colour, very impressed.
                          Friend of mine who has been a successful professional for over 30 years has used Loxley Colour for all his digital work for many years and his prints are excellent ...

Comment

Thanks Jeff and Enigma. I used DS colour since they are in Stockport and I sent away two of my photos and they returned it first class, next day delivery. Every print quality and superb service.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                              I used DS colour since they are in Stockport and I sent away two of my photos and they returned it first class, next day delivery. Every print quality and superb service.
                              Always good to hear an endorsement based upon practical experience ...

Comment

Working...
                              X