Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Time

Hi All,

Two very similar Pics, in a situation like this should the Combine play a significant part of the shot as in the Second or be not quite so large as in the first?

10a by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

11 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

Regards Paul

Re: Harvest Time

Nice shots. I slightly prefer #1.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Nice set Paul.

Tom

Comment

Yep I prefer No1 as well. Feel image is a bit dark overall, maybe lift shows?
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Hi Paul; being politic - and sitting on the fence... both work! All depends what you want to portray. If anything I prefer #1 over #2, but would be tempted to crop a smidgin off the bottom maybe???
          Cheers;
          Lee
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
          All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
          5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
          17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

I prefer the second one....nothing wrong with the first though....I just prefer the proportions of the main subject in the second
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I like both and the combine is well placed on the third but the wildlife photographer in me can't help wondering if it would have been better with the combine on the left so it appears to be pointing into rather than out of the frame
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Definitely #1 for me, as this feels more about the landscape with the combine being an incidental point of interest, while #2 is all about the combine. Which is fine if that is what you wanted, but for me not as pleasing overall an image. Also, in #1 I do like how the combine matches the shape and position of the copses.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I like both pictures as they both tell a story but with a different feel when contemplating the content.

With the first the immediate feel is one of a quiet rural scene whereas the reality is that the combine is a noisy machine, the relative size gives the picture a nice quiet/noisy balance.

The size of the combine in the second gives a sense of the noise and activity and its intrusiveness into the quiet rural scene.

The pipe of the combine pointing out of the picture reflects the fact that the grain is being harvested and taken away.

Good pictures are always more than just their visual appeal.

Comment

Thanks to all who commented. Some really interesting and thoughtful responses.

Stan, I know exactly what you mean, however to get it on the Left with the spout pointing into the frame would have meant I would have lost the lines of the cut straw and would have been looking at the uncut part of the crop.

The shot I would have liked was when the Tractor and trailer which you can just see is alongside with the Combine discharging into the Trailer, but I would have needed to be at the other end of the field to see that as the spout only pointed one way and to do it when coming towards me would have meant the Tractor running over the uncut wheat.

I will get another chance though, so hope to get better shots in better light too

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X