Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel photographer of the year

I don't know if this has already been mentioned:

An image of a volcano struck by lightning has beaten photographs of crocodiles, dervishes and surfers to win this year's grand prize.

I'm totally uninspired by these, even the winner. Incidentally, the volcano isn't being struck by lightning, it's caused by the volcano. Do a search on "volcanoes lightning" and you'll find many images that look a lot better to me.

Most of the others I find dull (literally, many very murky) and uninteresting. No doubt they reflect the personal views of the judges on what constitutes a good photo.
    Last edited by Richard W; 03-08-2017, 14:06.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Re: Travel photographer of the year

They don't do much for me either - I see far more pleasing & interesting shots posted here on a frequent basis!

But I guess like most art, what makes a good photo is entirely subjective so if we all liked the same thing, life would be a very dull place.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Well I agree with you regarding the Caves, Firefly and Dervish shots....not impressed at all with those, but I find something to like in the others....I think there are better elsewhere....but these were the ones entered.....maybe we should be entering more competitions.

I fundamentally don't get the competitions in art thing, as its so subjective.....the results cant be validated.....its all subjective.

Which is why none of my entries to last years showcase got anywhere near shortlisting even though they were brilliant - in my opinion, and my wifes and the dog liked a few too.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post

Which is why none of my entries to last years showcase got anywhere near shortlisting even though they were brilliant - in my opinion, and my wifes and the dog liked a few too.
        Ha ha ha, that made me smile as I say the same things
        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Be a sad day if we all like the same thing - though I suppose it would make for a peaceful life.#

For once I actually like most of the shots shown. I came across a bigger version of the volcano and it looks even more impressive larger.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
            Incidentally, the volcano isn't being struck by lightning, it's caused by the volcano.
            Are you grumpy about the photo or the caption the BBC editors put on the web page? The photographers caption at http://travel.nationalgeographic.com.../winners-all/1

"I was in the town of Comala when I suddenly saw incandescence above the volcano's crater and started shooting. Seconds later, a powerful volcanic explosion expelled a cloud of ash particles and a massive lightning bolt illuminated most of the dark scene."
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

It was the BBC comment, I wasn't being grumpy, just pointing out the fact to anyone unfamiliar with lightning caused by volcanic eruption.
              I still think there are a lot of better images of the phenomenon on line.
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I'm beginning to dislike the BBC , they always dress things up on their assumption about what is palatable to us....why can't they just be normal instead of being Aunty! About time it was sold off and the license abolished!!!
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                  It was the BBC comment, I wasn't being grumpy, just pointing out the fact to anyone unfamiliar with lightning caused by volcanic eruption.
                  I still think there are a lot of better images of the phenomenon on line.
                  My apologies, you seemed a bit put out about the lightning.
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

It had me fooled...I'd not heard of lightning being generated by an eruption...the BBC left it as an amazing co-incident as if it was a storm combined with the eruption.....thats my ignorance and the BBC not having much depth anymore.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

To be honest, I really like most of them. The last four leave me somewhat cold, but I find the winners of all the categories as perfectly well deserved.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                      X