Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straw Bales and Lens choice

Hi All,

Following on from my Harvest Time shots the field is now full of Straw Bales, I went this morning and first used a 10 - 22mm, then thought that didn't look right and tried my 24 -70mm, from which came the Pano shot stitched from 8 shots, one of the individual shots and then tried with the 300mm.

Would be interested in opinions, I think I have come to the conclusion that the best Lens would have been the one I left at home a 70 - 200mm

With the 300mm

14 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

Also with the 300mm

16a by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

With the 10 - 22mm

18 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

With the 24 - 70

20 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

Pano

Pan 2c by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

Work in Progress I think

Regards Paul
    Last edited by pelliott1954; 03-08-2017, 20:59.

Re: Straw Bales and Lens choice

My pick is the pano and the 24-70 , the side view of the bales don't quite work as well IMO

Tom

Comment

I like the first and the last (pano)...the first one has a simple graphic quality (might be better with the trees cloned out?) only two colours and nice contrast. No 3 might have benefitted by a lower angle maybe? The 300 thus worked best as the depth is 'compressed'....could have been achieved with the 24-70 if you could get closer and retain the same relative camera height poisition.
      Just my thoughts....nice set Paul
      Last edited by @imagesBV; 05-08-2017, 06:33.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Tom and Brian, I appreciate your comments. Tom, main reason for shooting the Bales from the ends is that the other aspect if close up shows the white nylon netting they are wrapped in, from a distance that doesn't tend to show though. Thanks Brian for your considered view, I prefer the compression from the longer lens, the 10-22 proved a waste of time for these in my opinion. Have now shot some with my 70-200, perhaps post later

Regards Paul

Comment

prefer the last shot

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

I would pick the first one. I really like the contrast between the colours and the sky. It just goes to show landscape does not always have to be about wide angles.
            - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

First one for me, too.
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Guys, appreciate your comments

Regards Paul

Comment

As I've learnt from bitter experience; the best lens is always the one you didn't bring but we should be able to make do & mend with whatever we've got at the time. I think this is a subject that would suit almost any lens and/or focal length, and I doubt there'll be any consensus on which is best! Personally I really like #2. Simple & effective, and the warm colour and grey sky compliment each other nicely.
                  Cheers;
                  Lee
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                  5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                  17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Thanks Lee, I appreciate your thoughts

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X