• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway

...a not so fairly busy motorway on a summer afternoon

_MG_3417.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

Canon 100d 55-250STM
    Last edited by @imagesBV; 04-08-2017, 08:11.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Motorway

Well Brian, on the face of it this could have been a fairly ordinary picture, not worthy of comment. However, with your chosen point of view, interesting framing with the foliage, the electricity pylon and bridge in just the right place, you have certainly pulled it off and ended up with an interesting, well composed photo.

I think you have pulled out the sky a little, but some more contrast would help in my opinion and just to make the point, I have had a very quick "play" to see if you agree.

Well done for trying something different, they don't always work, but this one certainly did.

36187705392_8f1b537662_c by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin, that's good of you yes that has improved the impact....I've shot this scene before but I think this time the cloud formations gave it potential....your input is much appreciated!
      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

An unusual shot, the first of a road that I've seen on here anyway, but I like it!
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Very nice shot, improved by the increased contrast in the clouds. My only nit pick is that it might have been better without the van on the bridge, but maybe it was parked there for a while.

John

Comment

Thanks Chris and John,

I noticed the van at the time...but though it 'described' the bridge by its presence.....maybe not such a good idea.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Agree with Colin's assessment, but I also think that making it BW has added to the impact as well

Well done Brian

Tom

Comment

I noticed the van at the time...but though it 'described' the bridge by its presence.....maybe not such a good idea.
                Hmmm .............. I am not so sure your initial thoughts were wrong.

I still have the original workings of your shot and to test my theory, I took the van out and the shot doesn't work nearly as well. I have given this some thought and on initial inspection, the electrical pylon is the dominant focal point. But ...... enjoy the photo for a while and then think it through and analyse the results and in my case, my eye always comes to rest on the van. The pylon is more of a frame on the right, whereas the van is in a more critical position within the frame, nearly at the intersection of the thirds in the horizontal and vertical. Furthermore it is white, which attracts the eye much more than the darker pylon.

I will confess that with my Judges hat on, I may have over analysed the shot and it is just one persons point of view, but I am still comfortable with my conclusions and your comment "described the bridge by it's presence" sums it up for me quite nicely.
                Colin

Comment

I don't think you over analysed this at all.....and all of your comments are very welcome Colin.

by the way.....the DPD van was also kept in the shot........as its the usual means by which my latest acquisition form mpb.com arrives!
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                  X