EFS lens causes fast battery drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFS lens causes fast battery drain

Hi, I have a 600D DSLR, a 100mm Macro lens and, after the 'kit' lens failed, I bought an EFS 18-135mm secondhand. Battery drain then seemed very fast. I bought a new battery and had the same problem. Testing the camera with the macro and the Zoom points towards the Zoom being the problem, draining the battery within 24 hours with camera switched off and no usage! The Macro - no problem! Anyone else come across this? Is there a fix?

Re: EFS lens causes fast battery drain

you have posted this in the wrong section ferdie .but in answer i have never heard of this before .everyting points to it being a electrical fault in the lens if thats possible with the camera switched off .
    i would suggest contacting canon at elstree as a first option see if they have a answer . then contact the seller if it was a e/bay buy paypal will protect you if a shop take it back .just a question though is your battery a original one or a replacement one

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      you have posted this in the wrong section ferdie .but in answer i have never heard of this before .everyting points to it being a electrical fault in the lens if thats possible with the camera switched off .
      i would suggest contacting canon at elstree as a first option see if they have a answer . then contact the seller if it was a e/bay buy paypal will protect you if a shop take it back .just a question though is your battery a original one or a replacement one
      Thanks Black Fox, I will try your suggestion to contact Canon. Which section should I have used to post please?

Comment

..battery was the original and then I bought another through EOS Magazine Shop. Both would drain within 24 hrs with the Zoom attached

Comment

I wonder if something like the IS is running on it, have you tried turning it off? other thoughts are it is trying to focus, but if a lens cap is on that shouldn't be running.

Try turning off the Image stabilization, see if that stops it, if not try the putting it to manual focus and see if that stops it, it will at least give you an idea if either are the cause.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
            I wonder if something like the IS is running on it, have you tried turning it off? other thoughts are it is trying to focus, but if a lens cap is on that shouldn't be running.

Try turning off the Image stabilization, see if that stops it, if not try the putting it to manual focus and see if that stops it, it will at least give you an idea if either are the cause.
            Thanks TonyT, I could try these solutions, but still wonder why it is not a problem with the Macro lens. (The problem occurs with the camera switched off and lens cap on and no usage at all.)

Comment

Because the lens is probaby faulty / at fault, something has to be drawing the power and as it only happens with that lens on one would think the lens is the culprit, now as far as I know there are only two main items in the lens drawing energy, the IS system and the focus system that would possibly be drawing power, isolating those one at a time will give you an indication if one or the other is at fault, you can then go from there when you know the cause.. or suspected cause.

Although you have the camera turned off that does not neccessarily mean that the lens is off, as it may draw a small current and not go through the main camera switch, or a fault in the lens may be bypassing the switch, hence the problem, similarly the 1DX I have uses power even though off because I have the GPS module fitted, I believe the 7D etc still draws power too for its GPS when turned off.

I looked on line and there was someone that had a similar issue with a Tamron lens and a 70D, that turned out to be a faulty lens and was repaired.

interesting reading

Last edited by TonyT; 07-08-2017, 13:40.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                Because the lens is probaby faulty / at fault, something has to be drawing the power and as it only happens with that lens on one would think the lens is the culprit, now as far as I know there are only two main items in the lens drawing energy, the IS system and the focus system that would possibly be drawing power, isolating those one at a time will give you an indication if one or the other is at fault, you can then go from there when you know the cause.. or suspected cause.

Although you have the camera turned off that does not neccessarily mean that the lens is off, as it may draw a small current and not go through the main camera switch, or a fault in the lens may be bypassing the switch, hence the problem, similarly the 1DX I have uses power even though off because I have the GPS module fitted, I believe the 7D etc still draws power too for its GPS when turned off.

I looked on line and there was someone that had a similar issue with a Tamron lens and a 70D, that turned out to be a faulty lens and was repaired.

interesting reading

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1397704
                Thanks TonyT, you will need to educate me as to what the 'IS System' is?

Comment

...just twigged it! Image Stabilisation.

Comment

try this one ferdie ,attach lens to camera switch on focus on anything ,make sure your stabiliser is switched on ,switch camera off and hold up very closely to your ear .if something is whirring inside the lens then theres a fault with it .

the one thing you have omitted is how long have you had the lens ,was it a private sale,e/bay ,shop etc as we can advise accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      try this one ferdie ,attach lens to camera switch on focus on anything ,make sure your stabiliser is switched on ,switch camera off and hold up very closely to your ear .if something is whirring inside the lens then theres a fault with it .

the one thing you have omitted is how long have you had the lens ,was it a private sale,e/bay ,shop etc as we can advise accordingly
                      Hi I bought it secondhand last year, unfortunately now out of warranty. I took the advice of another on this thread and switched off IS. It worked - no battery drain!

Comment

Hi TonyT, it was the IS system. Many thanks for that. I wonder if a Canon repair would be worth considering?? (Which section should I have posted originally?)

Comment

I am a bit confused here. I thought that when the camera is switched off the IS also stops working. I cannot understand how the IS could be working when the camera is switched off!
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat when you turn off a camera parts of it are still on, it only really stops you accidentally firing shots etc, if there is a problem with his IS not shutting off then it could be running all the time and hence draining his battery.

You really have two choices, repair the lens
                            or now you know the problem, turn the IS off when you turn the camera off, then turn it on when you turn the camera on..

Repair costs for canon are here, https://www.canon.co.uk/images/UK%20...14-1174182.pdf although the IS is expensive and probable prohibitive for the repair of the lens, from what you say the IS appears to be working and draining the battery, so the fault may be elsewhere in the lens, it could be something simple like a shorting cable to it etc.. I would phone them up and have a talk, at least you have narrowed down the fault and they may be able to advise you further.

Did you pay with a credit or debit card?, check, they often have extended warranties over the shop one included for free when you purchase with them.
                            Last edited by TonyT; 11-08-2017, 12:41.

Comment

you posted in the right section.. ie here

Comment

Working...
                              X