Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrying a camera with a large lens

Hi all

I'm getting back into my photography after about 10 years and now I'm in a better financial position have treated myself to a Canon 750D and a Sigma 150-600mm telephoto lens.

I've never owned a lens like this before and am just after advice on how to now carry and support my camera and lens.

The lens weighs in at 2.8kg. Am I right in thinking that if I'm carrying my camera around with the lens attached I should be doing so by using the strap attached to the lens and not around my neck attached to the camera?

Any other tips on carrying it would also be appreciated! Will be using mainly for wildlife photography, so lots of walking.

Thanks!

Re: Carrying a camera with a large lens

Hi, first off welcome to the forums,

You are correct in what you say, you want to carry the camera either by the lens foot or by a strap attached to the lens, avoid like the plague carrying it by the camera as it puts a heck of a loading on the mount.

On my ef500 I tend to shoot off a monopod so have the lens mounted via an arca Swiss plate to a monopod, I then carry it about with a pad on the monopod resting on my shoulder and the lens camera hanging over my back, with the strap on the lens held in my hand or around my neck as a backup.

Like this

The other thing I have which I use to store it in the car when travelling and at home as well carrying it, is a lens rucksack for it, there are several about, I use this one.

The other thing you might think about is a set of Camo covers for the lens, I have a set on mine, mainly to protect the lens from chips and damage.

I hope that helps, some members probably use your specific lens and will be along to offer more advice.
    Last edited by TonyT; 06-08-2017, 16:23.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I carry mine by turning the tripod foot up to the top and using that as a carry handle. It even has finger dents to make it easier.
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/150977425@N05/

Comment

Hello and welcome Froglet.

As Tony has stated, always with the strap attached to the lens.

That may be inconvenient when you want to take landscapes with a smaller lens, so to get over that I use the Optech strap system. Buy two straps. You will note that the straps come in three pieces: the two ends that attach to the lens (camera) and the neckstrap that clips to the two ends. Attach the two ends from one strap to the big lens. Attach the two ends from the second strap to the camera body and just use one of the neckstrap pieces. If you use the big lens, connect the neckstrap to those ends. If you use a smaller lens, connect the neckstrap piece to the body.

It does mean that when you use the big lens, you have the two endstraps hanging from the body, but as the connectors are opposite, they just clip together to keep out of the way. The picture below shows the standard strap ends, choose whichever works best for you. I use a strap with the standard ends on the big lens and with the bootlace ends on the camera body. I also use the Canon Handstrap E1 on the body, so the bootlace strap makes it easier to fit both.

1007795 by Colin Cross, on Flickr
        Colin

Comment

Optech also do a hand strap version which fits using the same connections as come with the neck strap.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum froglet ,you don't mention which version of the lens you have .i have the sigma sport and a 1Dmk4 which makes for a heavy rig ,and while the op-tech system is o.k it's not that easy to use .
            So I use a black rapid strap which I have attached to a arca type tripod plate and to one of the lens side lugs .via two pairs of op.tech short straps attached to the oblong slider ,I have cut off the carabiner clip as I found it jangled to much for wildlfe .it really works for me and I have no problems lugging it round all day ,and I,m fast galloping towards 72.

Finding and utilising the centre of gravity of any rig makes it easy to carry

Comment

Hi and Welcome to the forum Froglet .
              I use the supplied Strap that comes with the Sigma when out and about with mine , i find it very comfortable either just over the shoulder or across the chest with the camera / lens on my side (it also allows for one hand to hold the lens foot for extra security ). Like Colin i use the Optech strap on the camera with other lenses but also detach the padded strap and lock the two ends together when using the 150-600 .
              Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

Working...
              X