Challenge 133 - Pointless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 133 - Pointless

The title of this challenge Pointless, but it's probably not quite what you think at this stage.

Hopefully most of you will be familiar with the TV show Pointless. If not, it's a quiz show where the contestants have to guess the most obscure answers given in a survey of 100 people. The questions usually follow one of several formats, one of which would be something like "Name a country beginning with one of the letters U, S or A".

So, for this latest challenge I would like the subject to be:

An image of something that begins with one of the letters E, O or S.
    The title of the image should describe the main subject and will be disallowed if it doesn't begin with E, O or S!

It doesn't matter if it's a still life, of wildlife, transport or landscape (although in this instance, please try to have a main subject - I will accept "sunset" but not "scene"!) - anything you like really, as long as it adheres to the naming rules.

The previous challenge had a relatively low number of entries, so I hope that this subject is of wide enough scope to encourage some more.

I will try to judge on technical merit, composition, etc. but as before I expect that ultimately it will be something that I simply like, as long as it conveys the subject well, of course.

Please abide by the general rules:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR or M series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for posted entries this time is Midnight BST on Sunday 3rd Sept. This gives you four weekends, including a bank holiday, so get out there and get shooting!

I look forward to seeing the entries.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Challenge 133 - Pointless

Just a friendly bump to the top of the list
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Extremely Orderly Swimming

Extremely Orderly Swimming
      by AlexR!, on Flickr
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

S is for Skeleton

In a bit of a pickle.
        Last edited by Jonathan Teatime; 20-08-2017, 07:50. Reason: add caption
        Flickr
        Web Page
        Instagram
        Facebook

Comment

Snail Slime in the Sunshine (macro)

IMG_3638 (4) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

E for enormous.

Last edited by Doglet; 26-08-2017, 06:37.
            Ray

Comment

I had thought of entitling this "End Of Summer" but I thought I might be pushing my luck, so instead this is simply "Ominous"

Ominous by John Liddle, on Flickr
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

My entry is Extended Orchid Show

Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

I know I'm not allowed to call this "Pointless" but it was my starting point !!

"Sharpener"

[IMG]Sharpener by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                  Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Sculpture.
                    _MG_4070.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

*bump*

Last couple of days for entries, the deadline being midnight Sunday 3rd Sept.
                      Chris
                      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Old Style Selfie

A Selfie by tesarver, on Flickr

Tom

Comment

The challenge is now closed. Thanks to everyone who entered. I will be off shortly to make my deliberations and post the results later.
                          Chris

Comment

Thanks again to all who entered. A wonderfully diverse range of subjects and it's been difficult to choose the top three, let alone the winner. But I have now made my choice and remember it's just my personal opinion!

AlexR!: Extremely Orderly Swimming
                            well done on managing to do the complete E, O & S! I regularly see a number of Canada Geese, all line-astern, but never twenty eight (and yes, I did count them!). It's almost a shame that there are so many of them that in order to get them all in shot they have to be quite distant, but overall it's a serene and pleasing shot.

Jonathan Teatime: Skeleton
                            This made me laugh! And made me want a ham and piccalilli sandwhich. I love the way the you've posed the two skeletons, giving them great expressions. This could be one of a series, telling a story. Have you ever thought of writing a children's book?

Daisy M: Slime
                            I wouldn't have known what this was if you hadn't said. I really like the abstract nature and there are some great colours in there. I might have liked a bit more depth of field but without seeing it I can't tell whether it would necessarily be an improvement over this.

Doglet: Enormous
                            That's a really sharp shot! I think that a little bit more movement in the wheels of the Monster Truck would have been good. Also, perhaps you could have cropped in further so that the truck almost fills the frame, which might give an even better representation of the "enormity" of it.

John Liddle: Ominous
                            Ominous does seem to be a pretty accurate description. I don't know how well known it is that I like a moody sky, so don't know whether this is coincidence or playing to the judge! I really like the contrasts between the shady foreground, the sunny bits and the really dark clouds which really impose themselves on the shot.

Farider: Extended Orchid Show
                            Well, you have better luck with orchids than I do! This is a nice shot, although perhaps a little soft in places. Another one where, in an ideal world, I'd like to see an alternative shot as I wonder whether a dark(er) background might bring out the colours of the flowers a bit more.

lunarbo: Sharpener
                            I really like the colours, shadows, composition and the sheer simplicity of this. And it is "pencil" sharp.

brianvickers: Sculpture
                            I'm guessing that this is one of your Angel of the North set. I like the composition and the mono processing - very simple but very effective.

tesarver: Selfie
                            Hello Tom & I presume Mrs Tom! It's a very nice scene and you're both well placed on the third. I think that the waterfall itself could have done with the highlights being reduced to try to stop the blown white of the water.

So, in reverse order:
                            3rd: John Liddle with Ominous.
                            2nd: Daisy M with Slime.
                            1st: lunarbo with Sharpener.

Congratulations to everyone, and good luck to Bo who has the honour of setting the next challenge!
                            Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, enjoyed the challenge. Well done Babs, you have been due this over the last couple of months. Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X