X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for Windows Users

Couple of things to try.

Check that PS / LR are up to date.

Go into the directory and right click a CR2 file and select Open With > Choose Another App. Look to see if it is already associated with a particular program. (It would appear under "Keep using this app" if attached to a program already. If it just shows Options or Other Options, then your CR2 files are no longer linked to a program).

If it is not linked to a program, select "Photos" - a preinstalled Windows 10 app for viewing pictures. Or select Photoshop - up to you. Ensure that "Always use this app to open .CR2 files" is selected. It will open the one picture, close it, close the directories and then re-open and see if that works. If you tried Photos and it didn't, try PS, or vice versa. If one is already selected in the menu, then try the other.

What you are doing here, is associating the .CR2 file type so that when you double click one, it will always open in that app/program, however what it may also do though is use something installed by that program, to preview the pictures as the icon.

Another thing to try is in the folder view menu - select through Extra large icons, Large icons, small icons - to check if one, all, or none of them are working at all.

Hope this works / helps.
    Last edited by Bhuna; 02-10-2017, 17:32.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
      Couple of things to try.

Check that PS / LR are up to date.

Go into the directory and right click a CR2 file and select Open With > Choose Another App. Look to see if it is already associated with a particular program. (It would appear under "Keep using this app" if attached to a program already. If it just shows Options or Other Options, then your CR2 files are no longer linked to a program).

If it is not linked to a program, select "Photos" - a preinstalled Windows 10 app for viewing pictures. Or select Photoshop - up to you. Ensure that "Always use this app to open .CR2 files" is selected. It will open the one picture, close it, close the directories and then re-open and see if that works. If you tried Photos and it didn't, try PS, or vice versa. If one is already selected in the menu, then try the other.

What you are doing here, is associating the .CR2 file type so that when you double click one, it will always open in that app/program, however what it may also do though is use something installed by that program, to preview the pictures as the icon.

Another thing to try is in the folder view menu - select through Extra large icons, Large icons, small icons - to check if one, all, or none of them are working at all.

Hope this works / helps.
      Thanks for the advice Andy unfortunately none of it worked. The CR2 files with my old 6D work but not those with the new 6D MK II. Standard Windows Photo programs do not open the new CR2 files. I can of course open them in Photoshop but then that is not instant and then always runs ACR first.

I prefer to work with ACR and PS these days but a work round is to use LR as a photo viewer or shoot RAW and JPEG using the JPEG as a visual reference. I could also buy Fast Picture Viewer or wait for a Windows 10 update.
      - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Have you tried associating the files with ACR and then looking?

If Photo doesn't open them, then it might be that you have to wait for an update on that program, for it to then also update the icon views.
        Andy
        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Have you had a look at Adobe Bridge that comes with PS? If you have an up-to-date version of PS CC then that may show thumbnails. Aside from that, you're waiting for Microsoft to update their codec pack which who knows when will happen...
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
            Have you had a look at Adobe Bridge that comes with PS? If you have an up-to-date version of PS CC then that may show thumbnails. Aside from that, you're waiting for Microsoft to update their codec pack which who knows when will happen...
            Thanks - I'll probably stick to LR for the viewing but it remains a pain not being able to see a quick image of the thumbnails.
            - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Yep, it's a pain. Apple still don't support Fuji Compressed raw files 18 months after the X-Pro 2 came out. Yes, you can use uncompressed raw but you an't convert after the fact and compressed raw is half the size.

Apple and Microsoft seem to be forgetting photographers in their roadmaps and support.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                Try the trial version of fastpictureviewer codec to see if it works
                Just installed the trial and it works!! For $10 it seems the solution.
                - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

+1 for fastpictureviewer Codecs give you thumbnails in all windows Apps it is the solution

Comment

I had a similar problem with video on the new computer. I had to update my Codecs for video to solve it. Sounds like you found a good solution though. I am surprised that Photoshop didn't solve the issue though. My photos were no problem after my Photoshop was installed.
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Working...
                    X