80D First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80D First Impressions

1. It's a little bigger and heavier than the 750D but that I didn't notice it too much when using it with the 100-400.
    2. The controls are completely different. I had to check the manual to find out how to change aperture in Manual mode!
    3. The shutter is quieter and less "clunky", if that makes sense.
    4. The increase to 45 AF points and over 19 is a big improvement. Yesterday, due to where I went, I was mainly shooting butterflies, dragonflies & damselflies and had a single AF point set for most of the time but for other subjects it will be a big plus.
    5. Speed of auto-focus is vastly superior. I managed a grab shot of a BHG in flight (below) which I never would have tried with the 750D.
    6. The burst rate of 7fps may only be a little faster then the 750D's 5fps but it seems a lot faster than that in use.
    7. Low light performance far exceeds the 750D, although almost disappointingly, yesterday was bright and sunny! The chiffchaff (below) was lurking in the trees and although it is nowhere near the kinds if ISO that Jeff gets with his 1D4, it's more than I'd have bothered with with the 750D.
    8. It auto-focuses well at f/8 with the Kenko 1.4x but when I took some shots the exposure was often all over the shop.
    9. There's probably a whole load of stuff that I haven't discovered yet but so far I'm not regretting the upgrade.

Black Headed Gull in flight by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

Chiffchaff by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: 80D First Impressions

Nice write up Chris, but how do you like the camera?

Tom

Comment

A very good point from Tom!

You'll definitely get more out of it in terms of pixels, focus points and low light performance than your entry level 750 and that should encourage you to push yourself more.

You might like to consider Douglas Klostermann's e book - "Canon 80d experience. the Still Photography guide to operation & Image creation" which covers everything you need to know

Our own Nina Bailey has 2 ibooks on the 80d too, her style is less comprehensive but there are more useful illustrations

I do like a proper book but have yet to find a good one for the 80d

I do love my 80d and hope you have a lot of fun with your new toy ...
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
        Cheers Tom. Love it at the moment, despite having yet to master the new layout of the controls! I think it's going to be a really good match for me.

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post

You might like to consider Douglas Klostermann's e book - "Canon 80d experience. the Still Photography guide to operation & Image creation" which covers everything you need to know

Our own Nina Bailey has 2 ibooks on the 80d too, her style is less comprehensive but there are more useful illustrations

I do like a proper book but have yet to find a good one for the 80d

I do love my 80d and hope you have a lot of fun with your new toy ...
        Thanks Bo, I intend to!

I have links to all of the books you mention "bookmarked" and will probably get one, if not all, of them. I bought Nina's DPP4 eBook and found that invaluable when first starting out. I might even consider a course or workshop (it's my birthday in a few weeks and I've dropped several hints to the relevant parties! ).
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

i really like my 80D when i had it .and as i found out the iso can be pushed a lot further than you think possible .enjoy it cris its a lovely learning curve .

Comment

Cheers Jeff.
            Chris

Comment

Working...
            X