Another Goodwood Test Day - this time with an EOS M5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Goodwood Test Day - this time with an EOS M5

Having owned an M5 for a few months now i have been very pleased with the results I have been getting with static shots of all types. The first attempts at action were not that successful, since then I have had a few more tries each time getting better results. Where I was having problems was tracking cars through a corner, shooting a series of pictures and what was displayed in the viewfinder. Panning was no problem for some reason!

What I have done is set up in the custom menus all the items I change when I turn to action shots, works as a nice hint to what I want to change.

First three static shots:

1 Using EF-M 18 - 150 - Waiting

IMG_7188-2 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

2 Using EF-M 15 - 45 - Lined Up

IMG_7412-2 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

3 Using EF-M 15 - 45 - AC Cobra

IMG_7417-2 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

The remainder are shot using my EF28-300mm with the adaptor mount.

4 - AC Cobra

IMG_7464-3 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

5 - GT40 1/100th pan

IMG_7583-2 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

6 - AC Ace and Rochdale Olympic

IMG_7884-PSedit-2 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

7 - AC Cobra 1/100th pan

IMG_8068-2 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

8 - GT40.

IMG_7506-2 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

More pictures on flickr.

Settings Used:
    Image Quality - JPEG L - with RAW on fills the buffer up to quickly for continuous shooting.
    AF Operation - Servo
    AF method - 1-point AF - allows me to pick and track the subject better
    Focus Mode - AF
    Continous AF - On
    Drive Mode - High

I have Touch Screen disabled and in the Display Settings - Display Control to Manual and Manual Display to Viewfinder. I was finding with it set to Auto when you moved to use the viewfinder there would be a noticeable lag in switching the screen off and the activation of the viewfinder. Having set this I found I could use the camera straight away. The only downside is reviewing the pictures as they to are shown on the viewfinder screen.

Battery use was a pleasant surprise I managed something like 1000 shoots, giving it a work out! Had to change battery about half way through.

Hope this of interest! And as ever comments welcome.

Robert
    Last edited by RobertC; 15-08-2017, 18:42.
    flickr - website - twitter -
    instagram

Re: Another Goodwood Test Day - this time with an EOS M5

A great set of images. Thank you for sharing your settings. It's all about practice and experimentation.

Comment

Another nice set Robert. Liking #2 'Lined Up' very much.
      Gary

https://www.facebook.com/motorsportimagesbyghp/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghand_39/

Canon EOS 7D Mk2 EOS 7D EOS 1D Mk III Canon 400 L f5.6 Canon EF 70-200 L f4 Canon EF 24-105 L f4 Canon EF 50 f1.8

Comment

Nicely done Robert and thanks for sharing your settings as I was finding a lag on the shutter release while in servo mode.

Tom

Comment

Very interesting read Robert, I purchased the M5 around Christmas time, been very pleased with the results but have never used it for sports shooting, think i will give it a go having seen your excellent efforts.

Paul.

1Dx, 400 f/2.8 ef 70-200 f/2.8 ef 15mm f/2.8 ef 24-70 f/2.8 mk1 1.4x 2x
          www.flickr.com/photos/fozzyimages/[/url] Website www.fozzyimages.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X