Youngnuo 85mm f1.8 USM Canon EF fit lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youngnuo 85mm f1.8 USM Canon EF fit lens

Can any member who owns this lens let me know how good it is in comparision with the more expensive Canon 85mm f1.8 USM lens. I am keen on getting this focal lens for some portrait work, esp in low light.

Many thanks

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Youngnuo 85mm f1.8 USM Canon EF fit lens

Got a pretty good write up nat ,value for money ,I,m debating the yongnuo 100mm f2 .depends on any m.o.t problems in the next couple of weeks

Comment

Got a pretty good write up
      I'd be interested to know where as I haven't been able to find any proper test reviews of it. Personally, I'd never buy a lens without seeing detailed objective test reviews, preferably on at least two different sites. I have seen reviews of the Yongnuo 50 mm F1.8, in spite of some users claiming that it is better than the Canon, the actual tests show that it is inferior in almost all respects, often much worse. So I'd avoid Yongnuo lenses for now.

I do have the Canon F1.8 85 mm and it's one of my favourite lenses, great IQ, sturdy, fast and accurate focus, feels like it will last forever. It's an 85 mm on the 6D and equivalent to 135 mm on the APS-C bodies, both very useful. I bought it used from MPB for about £230 (they have an "Excellent" one for £229 now) and I reckon it's one of my best buys. Personally, I'd rather go for a used copy of the tried and trusted Canon than save a few pounds on a rather unknown quantity.I'm by no means a "Canon only",man, my wish list of lenses now is all Sigma and Tamron, and my flashguns include Yongnuo, but in this case it would be Canon for me.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Write-ups say it's quite good and nearly up to Canon standard, once you get it above F4: lots of edge distortion below that. Ear plugs required for the noisy and slow autofocus.

Rather defeating the object if you want it for it's low light capabilities if you need to stop it down to F4 ......... might as well use your 24-105 f4. Saving a few bob on a lens seems quite a good idea on the face of it, but if you are not comparing on a like for like basis, it's not a true saving and any limitations of the cheaper lens would tend to grate in use.

I never know which (if any) of my photo's are going to be so good, that I need the best possible quality out of the end result. Therefore I don't stint on the equipment. If I need it, I need it and I am comfortable to do without other things to fund it.
        Colin

Comment

I agree with the points made by Colin and I'd go with Richard on this one....but then personnaly I have used third party lenses and always ended up coming back to the Canon version ...due to all the reasons previously made on this forum....long term compatibility, Canon image characteristics, resale value etc...

I'm waiting for my 24mm f1.4L II from mpb having looked at all the alternatives...I know its the 24 prime I really want....havn't told my wife yet!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
            I'm waiting for my 24mm f1.4L II from mpb having looked at all the alternatives...I know its the 24 prime I really want....havn't told my wife yet!
            Yikes, that's pricey!

"If I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my gear for what I told I her I paid for it"

I'm still considering an upgrade to the 100-400 mk2, which can hopefully be snuck in under the radar using the fact that it doesn't look much different to the mk 1 to an untrained eye! I reckon I could buy a new motorbike if it was the same colour as the current one too!
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
              I agree with the points made by Colin and I'd go with Richard on this one....but then personnaly I have used third party lenses and always ended up coming back to the Canon version ...due to all the reasons previously made on this forum....long term compatibility, Canon image characteristics, resale value etc...
              And yet Sigma and Tamron have opened up a complete new market with their 150-600mm zooms and there are a significant number of members of this forum that use them to good effect.

In my case I recently bought a Samyang 12mm for my other camera. Completely manual so no AF and no lens information on the shots. But half the price of the Fuji 14mm and the money has all gone into the optics and the rest of the build. Manual focus on a lens this wide with focus peaking on a mirrorless is trivial so it's a lens I'm using a lot.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                reckon I could buy a new motorbike if it was the same colour as the current one too!
                The number plate might give the game away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Astolat View Post
                  The number plate might give the game away!
                  She can never remember the number plate on her own car, let alone my motorbike! And anyway, I could transfer the current one over. Thinking about it further, I'm not 100% sure the colour would actually need to be similar either.
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Some very good points here. I also agree with Colin. I am always loathe to move away from the Canon brand and except for my TC (Kenko), everything else is Canon. The re-sale price is always a "buying" point for me. I know that I can always use my Canon 50mm lens on my 760D for portrait work as it would give me 80mm!!

Thanks for all your comments.
                    Last edited by Nathaniel; 16-08-2017, 11:20.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                      She can never remember the number plate on her own car, let alone my motorbike! And anyway, I could transfer the current one over. Thinking about it further, I'm not 100% sure the colour would actually need to be similar either.
                      Hope that SWMBO doesn't read this forum Chris

Tom

Comment

Fingers crossed for Chris!

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                          Hope that SWMBO doesn't read this forum Chris

Tom
                          Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          Fingers crossed for Chris!
                          Cheers chaps. I think I'm safe here.
                          Chris

Comment

Might be worth waiting a few weeks to see what impact the new Canon 85mm f/1.4 has on used Canon 85's ... might find a few coming on the market following upgrades ...

Comment

Quite true. Well worth waiting for a Canon which is my preferred choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X