Memory Cards, interesting article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory Cards, interesting article

I thought this was interesting and may be informative for others on here.

As many of you know, I spent many years of my life as Director of Marketing at Lexar dealing with the ins and outs of...
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Memory Cards, interesting article

Some good and interesting advice there. Thanks for sharing
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Agree. Some very good advice. Thanks for sharing.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Worth reading and absorbing ,especially the bit about individual deletes in camera

Comment

I'm not sure where I initially saw it (and I thought it was on here but perhaps not) I've always formatted the memory card in-camera after I've copied the images off.
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

All very sound advice and echoes what I was advised by a Sandisc technical bod many years ago.

Did any of you read any of the comments underneath the main article? If you haven't it's well worth the read just to note how many rude and ignorant people there are out there. In short they were rubbishing his article because they had always formatted in computer and never had a problem, or they had always deleted in camera without a problem, or they had always formatted in one camera and then used the card in another, therefore his advice was rubbish.

I have always been aware that although you can do these actions, it is not good practice and could result in loss of information, or a corrupted card. It was explained to me as: "although you can speed on the highway and you will mostly get away with it, you are increasing the risks of being caught for speeding." That sounded like good advice to me.
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
              Did any of you read any of the comments underneath the main article? If you haven't it's well worth the read just to note how many rude and ignorant people there are out there. In short they were rubbishing his article because they had always formatted in computer and never had a problem, or they had always deleted in camera without a problem, or they had always formatted in one camera and then used the card in another, therefore his advice was rubbish.

Yeah I read some of the comments and as you say there are a lot of rude and ignorant people who should engage the brain before posting rude and unhelpful comments
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

I can't help feeling his advice may have been valuable 10 years ago but if Canon haven't figured out by now how to safely and reliably manage onboard storage then they don't deserve a seat at the table!

His first two points appear rather contradictory to me: in the first he says not to trust in-camera storage management; in the second he says don't trust off-camera storage management. Camera storage is supposed to follow DCIM standards and should inter-operate. If it doesn't, then that is a problem - but not of the type implied.

I agree with some of his advice but not with the first two points. I also acknowledge that he is genuinely trying to assist others and took time and effort to put his article together.

Comment

Always amazes me that when someone disagrees with something written /published online they feel free to insult the writer. Reasoned debate seems to be in short measure.

Not sure I totally agree with some of his points but that doesn't make them wrong. Never feel need to delete individual images and always off load and reformat card in the camera. Some points are common sense, like not removing the card while read/write is in progress.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                    Always amazes me that when someone disagrees with something written /published online they feel free to insult the writer. Reasoned debate seems to be in short measure.

Not sure I totally agree with some of his points but that doesn't make them wrong. Never feel need to delete individual images and always off load and reformat card in the camera. Some points are common sense, like not removing the card while read/write is in progress.
                    Resorting to insults as a reply or comment on anything one disagrees with is a sure sign of abject ignorance coupled with excessive ego - which appears to apply to a large majority of the denizens of the hell known 'social' media...

By and large I imagine the author is right though I think he's over-exaggerating the dangers somewhat. For instance, while he's likely right that it's best not to use cards in one camera formatted for another, especially a different make, when I downloaded the first set of images from my newly purchased 40D it turned out that the card inside had been formatted in an Olympus of some kind (the camera came from the shop with the card in it) but nonetheless all the pictures were there...

I do try to avoid using cards formatted in my 20D in the 40D and vice versa as it slightly confuses the folder numbering system - doesn't seem to affect the actual recording but had different images with the same number as a result...
                    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I've read his article and must say that I have mostly followed all of his points since buying the 300D till now. What he gives you is advise to ensure that you don't experience a card failure, but like any advice for safe practice you can skit the rules and the majority of the time you will get away with it, till it seems like the new normal. But that one time you have a card failure and have not had the chance to download the images, then you'll have wished that you had followed some of that advice. So to him for taking the time to share his knowledge and advice (to bad we don't have a thumbsdown) and a big :thumbsdown: to those that unfairly attacked him. Also what I read in the comments, none of those that disagreed with him had any solid reason why they disagreed, except that they hadn't yet experienced a card failure.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                        Worth reading and absorbing ,especially the bit about individual deletes in camera
                        yeah didn't know that - I always delete images when out and about to save removing them from the Mac after I download them, suppose I'll have to stop that now
                        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I also used to delete in camera as and when I needed the space in the misguided belief that it didn't do any harm and it was an additional backup to the three other places I'd downloaded and stored my images to. I also used to simply delete en-masse using my computer when I needed an empty card. Since reading an article on this - can't remember where - I now reformat my cards where possible in the camera they will be used in.

Re online comments... I loathe them and generally don't read them as it's all too easy for trolls to anonymously interject with their own sad bigotry or, perhaps even worse as trolls can usually be seen and dismissed for what they are, are poor ratings given by probably decent but misguided people: only yesterday I read a book review where two 'readers' had given a single star and left the same comment "haven't read it yet". Ye gods, people

Comment

There are some complete dolts around, particularly the format in computer set. Aside from anything else, if you format in the camera just before you use it again you lose nothing and gain a backup of your shots for all that time. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

And the online world is full of idiots and internet warriors, mainly from the shallow end of the gene pool.
                            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

And the online world is full of idiots and internet warriors, mainly from the shallow end of the gene pool.
                              I think the tide was already out on their part of the gene pool.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X