Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old M42 mount lens

Hi
    Has anybody mounted a Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 Lens 7 element and the early 8 element lens on an 450D . I have heard there is a problem with mirror hang due to the back of the lens being longer (8 element ) or is this a problem with full frame cameras. Has anybody got any advice on lens adaptor and fitting without any damage to camera.

Thanks

Re: Old M42 mount lens

Hi Woody and welcome to the EOS Forum.

I have seen many other manufacturers lenses used on Canon bodies and apart from a couple of Leica and one particular Nikon wide angle, I am generally forced to ask why? Canon have a phenomenal range of lenses available to suit all pockets, but I guess if you have an old favourite laying idle, you have to give it a go.

First a bit of information on the lenses in question: the 8 element is the rarest and much desired by collectors, but the 7 element is the better lens. There were two versions of the 7 element 1.4, but to all intents and purposes, they are the same. I am advised by Pentax collectors that the Thorium coating yellows after a few years and that will bring a colour cast to your shots, but a few days under an UV lamp will restore the coating.

You will need an EOS to M42 adapter and while it should work without problem on a crop sensor body (1.3 and 1.6 crop), you should check with the supplier of the adapter regarding full frame bodies. You can determine this yourself by raising the mirror and accurately measuring the gap between the mirror edge and the face of the lens mount face. Then measure the lens with the adapter from the lens mount face to any rear projection and as long as you have a gap of at least a couple of mm, you should be good to go.

However, as you specifically mentioned the 450D, which is a 1.6 crop body, you shouldn't have a problem. One final thought: by the very nature of fitting an adapter between the lens and the body, depending on the design of the adapter, you may lose the ability to focus at infinity.

Hope that helps.
    Colin

Comment

Woody, I'm not an expert in adapted lenses but you may find some at DPreview - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1065 That's not to say Colin's advice is not right, it sounds good to me, just that you may get more varied views somewhere people work at adapted lenses. Because of the focus aids available, you may find it's a lot more mirrorless oriented than Canon and Nikon but definitely worth a try.

Colin, people use adapted lenses for a lot of reasons. In some cases because there is a look to these older lenses and modern lenses can be a bit clinical. Not all of them, my Fuji 35mm is an example of a lens with character, but some of these old lenses have a definite look that a lot of people like. A kind of instagram without the need to add the look after taking the shot...
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

If it does protrude, can you not add an extension tube, that's what I do when I double up on my extenders.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

The function of an extension tube is to allow a lens to focus mores closely than it was designed to. Very useful for macro work and for using large telephoto's to photograph say small birds, where the closest focus would otherwise be around 6 metres.

Unfortunately, in photography what you give in one hand is taken away by the other and adding an extension tube will not allow the lens to focus at infinity. Just for the sake of it, I have added a 12mm extension tube to a 100mm lens and it would not focus further than 6 feet away and that would have been even worse with a 25mm extension tube. With a 500mm and a couple of extenders, adding and extension tube would still allow you to maximum focus at a more considerable distance, but not to infinity
          Colin

Comment

Yes I realise that Colin, It was on my 500 to give me some reach to get the Bee eaters when they were here.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Reverse mounted it will make a very good macro lens!

Comment

I have used the 50mm f1.4 7 element Pentax Lens on a Pentax Spotmatic. This lens was good in its day and is still a great lens for black and white on film. Why put it on a Canon digital camera. There are plenty of excellent Canon and Canon fit 50mm lenses around.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
                  Why put it on a Canon digital camera.
                  Then again why not? Some of the old 50mm and other lenses are pretty good and if you have the lens why not use it. I've used both M42 and Nikon lenses on my EOS and had some very nice results.
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                  X