Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 mount on EOS 450D

Hi
    I have an old Takumar 50mm 1.4f that I was wanting to fit to my 450D camera -It is an early 8 element lens and I'm looking for an adaptor. The 42mm EOS mounts I have seen list that it is not compatible with Takumar lens.I have heard there is a problem with the rear element protruding into the camera but I think this is on full frame models. Has anybody managed to fit this type of lens to an EOS ? What adaptor did you use and where can I get hold of one.

Thanks

Re: Old Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 mount on EOS 450D

You already asked this here: https://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/s...M42-mount-lens
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Hi Woody

If you search auction sites with: M42 to EOS adapter you will get plenty to choose from for around £7.

As the Pentax lens is manual focus, then obviously there will be no autofocus and to obtain the correct exposure, you will need to stop down the lens to your chosen aperture. Quite time consuming to focus manually at full aperture, without any focussing aids in the viewfinder and then stopping down to take the shot. Probably quite nostalgic, if like me you are of a certain age and all photography was once this way. Probably quite frustrating if you are considerably younger and a fully paid member of the Now generation.

Good luck with your quest.
      Colin

Comment

If the mounts you have seen state they are not suitable for that lens ,then count that as a red flag .if in doubt don't do it ,it's not worth ruining your camera for ,there are many 50mm m42 thread lenses available on e.bay ,but you really need to know what your doing yo use them as everything is manual

Comment

A single google search and up pops this thread at Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/953850...7617623015070/

And then to this informative looking page: http://whitemetal.com/pentax/m42_to_EOS_adapter.htm

As I said on the other thread, it may be better asking this question elsewhere. I've not seen much in the way of discussion of adapted lenses on these forums, it seems not to be of much interest to the membership.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

One has to say, with a brand new Canon EF 50 /1.8 STM lens available for less than £100, giving autofocus, aperture control etc etc plus excellent image quality why would you want to muck around with an old manual focus 50mm lens?
            If it's something unique or expensive like a tilt/shift or a big telephoto then certainly there's an economic case, particularly if used on a tripod so autofocus isn't so important.
            Am I the lone philistine with this view?

Comment

Am I the lone philistine with this view?
              No you are not.

While I can appreciate a certain nostalgia, it seems rather a lot of effort for very little gain ......... if any!
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                No you are not.

While I can appreciate a certain nostalgia, it seems rather a lot of effort for very little gain ......... if any!
                As I may have said on the other thread, for a lot of people doing this kind of thing is quite fun. It's not something that really happens that much in the DSLR world, I suspect because bot good AF lenses are easy to come by but also because manual focus aids are lacking. In the mirrorless world you have excellent focus aids - zoomed sections of the image or focus peaking - which helps you to get the focus pretty much nailed, even with my poor eyesight...

And as I think I also said, there's sometimes a look about these older lenses that newer ones don't give. Too clean and clinical, aka lacking in character would be my thought...

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                  No you are not.

It might just be a bit of fun!! Lighten up chaps!!

I have ordered an adapter to fit my old Minolta lenses onto my M5 - just to try it out and maybe enjoy it - I shall start with the 55mm lens, which will give me an equivalent 85mm f1.7 to play with - I might try some portraiture.

I expect I can still remember how to take a manual photo, even though the last time I did it in earnest was a good few years ago.
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

For many years for true macro I used an M42 adaptor to fit a Zeiss Jena 135 mm with a 50 mm Pentacon reverse attached to the filter thread. It worked remarkably well and the magnification possible was quite high, much more than I could get with extension tubes, plus a brighter image. Started with this on the D30, then the 450D, now replaced by the MPE-65 once I could afford it.
                    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I have been a Pentax/Takumar equipment user for many years from 1964. I had a Spotmatic, Pentax SV and an ME models and I still have my slides taken with these cameras and relevant lens. However, over the years, with age dominating my life, I have got rid of all these camera bodies and lenses and have bought reliable auto focus lenses for my Canon bodies. I have no regrets at all. I will go along with all the advise given here by other members and go for the auto focus Canon 50mm f1.8 lens for a start. I believe I am not "penny wise and £ foolish"!
                      Last edited by Nathaniel; 22-08-2017, 15:01.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I had a couple of manual lenses previously a 50mm and a 135 the latter was my favourite and I passed it on to my grandson who is just about to start a uni course for filmmaking ,the 50mm I sold on due to lack of use .
                        However at this moment in time I'm hovering over a 28mm m42 thread wide angle for a play at landscapes etc and a autofocus lens would be massive overspend for the use it would get

Comment

Get a reverse adapter and use it as a macro lens.

Comment

Working...
                          X