Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External HDD

Hi,

I know there are a few threads this but still confused as to the best option.

My mac internal HD is getting full so I want to transfer my lightroom folder to an external HD, keeping the catalogue on the Mac.

I have been looking at the lacie thunderbolt rugged series HD.

Does anyone have experience with these? are they suitable?

Other mention NAS - unfortunately I am not IT literate and don't undertstand what this is - it seems more expensive and more complicated!!!

Anyway - any comments/advice gratefully appreciated.

Guy
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/123741420@N06/

Re: External HDD

Originally posted by Guy24 View Post
    Other mention NAS - unfortunately I am not IT literate and don't undertstand what this is - it seems more expensive and more complicated!
    Network Attached Storage (NAS) is basically a computer which manages disks and provides storage to other computers. If you are not comfortable with technical stuff then you may be better sticking with traditional external storage.

Is your requirement for a portable solution or one which will be permanently attached to a single (probably desktop) computer?

Comment

I have been using Seagate Drives , you can get 1TB , versions on Amazon for around £50 each . Had no trouble and recomend them . I buy them in twos , and mirror each drive with my back ups . Having just one copy of your images is not good , and just using one drive wont free up your computer if you intend to back them up properly on two separate devices .

Comment

On my PC I use one of these the software is included to copy drives or files over but I don't know how you would keep the catalogue though, on mine I have it as raid so it is in effect a 4TB hard drive and backs up everything put on it to the other 4TB drive. The drives are also the HP red ones which are the best apparently. simple to use and set up.. well I thought so, my images now download onto it. Doing Raid means if one fails the pics are still on the other, so you can replace the dead drive and then copy the files over again onto it. you can also daisy chain drives.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Western Digital My Book Duo 8TB,External,7200 RPM (WDBLWE0080JCHEESN) Desktop at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

the later version is here

Just letting you see how I do it..hope it helps
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

yep had the same problem so I bought a lacie d2 thunderbolt 3 6tb as that offers me the speed to work on a separate HD and clears my Mac. I do have separate HD that are 3tb and I back up to them, yes I know that side of the process is a little hands on but otherwise they would just sit around doing nothing
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I've 2 of these attached to my PC (were the 3TB version that doesn't seem to be option at the moment). Been in place since 2012.

Download all images to one and have free piece of software that does backup. Usually store one drive at neighbours if I'm going away on holiday.

Still thinking about having a storage solution in my garage (separate building) as I have network connection there.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
              I've 2 of these attached to my PC (were the 3TB version that doesn't seem to be option at the moment). Been in place since 2012.

Download all images to one and have free piece of software that does backup. Usually store one drive at neighbours if I'm going away on holiday.

Still thinking about having a storage solution in my garage (separate building) as I have network connection there.
              That`s a lot of back up for the money , will keep those in mind .

Comment

Thanks for the reply all.

Enigma - the HDD will be attached to a desk top pc all the time.

Some of them seem to have their own power supply, some don't.

Whats the difference between using say then Western Digital my book duo - noted by TonyT and the seagate type portable HDD noted by fallow?

Do they both work OK? Is one faster than the other?

Guy
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/123741420@N06/

Comment

Guy check out the lacie d2 thunderbolt 3 when I bought it it was the fastest drive more so by using thunderbolt over USB...but also as aside note I'm no Mac geek :)
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                  X