Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikon D850 sets the bar for Canon 5Ds (r) replacement ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon D850 sets the bar for Canon 5Ds (r) replacement ...

The newly announced D850 looks "none too shabby" in terms of technical spec. Obviously the real measure will be in the eventual user feedback over the coming months. However, with very early rumours of a 5DS (r) replacement in 2018 it certainly sets a very serious target for Canon to aim at.

With 2018 being a "major event year" for world sports it will be interesting to watch Canon's response ... even though the 5DS series is probably not the best sports camera of course.

Re: Nikon D850 sets the bar for Canon 5Ds (r) replacement ...

I think this is more of a competitor to the 5D MkIV in terms of frame rate, more a/f points etc., combined with the higher megapixel count .Pretty irrelevant to most though who are already committed to one system or the other. Each side will praise their system, but fortunately for all of us there are very competent cameras and lenses at a wide range of price points and with a choice of systems. We've never had it so good.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Didn't even consider it as a competitor for the MkIV to be honest, but you may well be right ... as you say, the great benefit for us is the wide range available both within and across brands - competition is almost invariably beneficial ... the step-focus looks interesting ...

Comment

At three and a half grand for me it's not a competitor - it's a non starter...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Another vote for it being a 5D4 competitor, although it walks all over it in every category except live-view AF, which is an interesting problem for Canon.

Comment

Always smile when new gear comes out because it's like everything we own is suddenly junk.

I'm happy with the output of what I have and that doesn't change overnight.

Certainly 'seems' to raise the bar but that seems to be the case everytime something new comes along. Prices are getting daft!
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
              Always smile when new gear comes out because it's like everything we own is suddenly junk.

Certainly 'seems' to raise the bar but that seems to be the case everytime something new comes along. Prices are getting daft!
              Spot on!
              Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post

Wise and honest words indeed .

Comment

Prices are getting daft!
                  Price of this and the 5D IV are essentially the same and pretty much the same as the 1D IV when it came out in 2010, so there really isn't that much increase over the years. The main change has been that the lower end models are relatively cheaper than they used to be.

One wonders how many people really need the resolution and other features of the top end models, but you can bet many "early adopters" will already have their names down on the waiting list. They will also be the ones who find they have to return their cameras for modification if there turns out to be a problem, which has been the case with some recent Nikon models.
                  EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Well I'm relatively easily satisfied....I don't need any more resolution, speed or noise control...so I'll not be upgrading from a needs point of view....but will no doubt succumb one day.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I dread to think how much computer space and processing power is needed by these ever larger mp cameras ,a often overlooked problem

Comment

An interesting comparison here :

As the writer says : "It would be foolish to change systems every time a better camera comes out, because manufacturers like Nikon and Canon are known to leapfrog each other every few years!" and I'm sure most people will stick with whatever system they have invested in over the years.

However, the Nikon does seem to combine almost all of the best features from the 5DSR and the 5D MkIV. That will make life difficult for
                        Canon, as a 5DSR replacement which competes with the Nikon on these features would make the 5D MkIV obsolete.

Comment

It isn't the camera that matters, it's the guy or gal that's pressing the shutter release that really matters. My best ever picture was (My opinion and the opinion of several judges in competitions) was taken on a an original 5D 12mp camera. The later iterations of the 5D (all of which I have owned), merely make photography easier in difficult conditions. Practice your technique and your pictures will improve more than if you buy the latest xD Mkx
                          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
                            It isn't the camera that matters, it's the guy or gal that's pressing the shutter release that really matters. My best ever picture was (My opinion and the opinion of several judges in competitions) was taken on a an original 5D 12mp camera. The later iterations of the 5D (all of which I have owned), merely make photography easier in difficult conditions. Practice your technique and your pictures will improve more than if you buy the latest xD Mkx
                            Which begs the question why have you upgraded 3 times? ��
                            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

As I said. The later cameras make my photography easier and as I'm basically lazy, I will do anything to make life easier. I always have 2 cameras so currently use a 5D4 and 5D3. I have been asked whether I can justify the upgrades and the answer is no I can't, I just wanted them. They do make photography easier
                              Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 29-08-2017, 16:13.
                              Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X