Challenge nº 134 Diagonal Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge nº 134 Diagonal Lines

Diagonal lines in a photograph can have a powerful effect.

They can add interest, a sense of dynamic or movement, and create depth to the image. They can direct the eye of your viewer as, and where, you choose for him.

They can be actual lines made by an object or series of objects, or they may be implied by their absence, and of course there can be one or more lines.

Whichever way you interpret this challenge- and as ever I am flexible- I’d like to see diagonal(s) imposing their presence on the image.

For those new or shy on this forum, I particularly encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

Judging will be based on the following-
    * fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

As ever I'll do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind my strictly amateur status

Please read the general rules below:-

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR or M series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Sunday October 1st ......so you have 3 full weeks to consider, capture and process your masterpiece.

Good luck and have some fun.

Barbara / Bo
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Challenge nº 134 Diagonal Lines

Glasgow Central
    _MG_4224.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

X marks the spot

Flickr
      Web Page
      Instagram
      Facebook

Comment

The Racer

IMG_5698.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comment

Love Locked Memories

Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Lining up on the Sugar City Museum.

Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

The Barn by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Christ Church steeple - dramatic

Christ Church dramatic tower
                by AlexR!, on Flickr
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Piazza IX Aprile floor

Piazza IX Aprile by Jonathan Goodger, on Flickr
                  EOS 60d, EF50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm 3.5-5.6, EF 28-90mm 4-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS, Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 EX DC HSM
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jongoodger/

Comment

We visited a couple of restored windmills in Spain and the day we went was the annual celebration of the windmills in the Torre Pacheco area and the one day in the year that the Molina del Pasico has its sails unfurled. Unfortunately no motion blur - there was zero wind!

Molina del Pasico, Torre Pacheco by John Liddle, on Flickr
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Bumper Crop.

5D3_6809 by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

City From Above
                        _MG_6277.jpg
                        www.flickr.com/photos/ileafy/
                        www.instagram.com/leafydragonphotography/

Comment

Church portal

IMG_4443 (3) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

OK folks, challenge closed - cheers to all that entered

I'll get my thoughts together and post the results later on.

Bo

Comment

Thanks to all who entered and as usual I offer my strictly amateur comments before awarding the Virtual Chocolate Bar to the winner

Glasgow Central - Strong composition and I like that the diagonals lead you to the clock. Good mono treatment and a confident twisting of the horizon to create more impact. I’d have liked that first light dulled down a bit but it’s not a deal breaker.

X marks the spot -Bold, lots of impact and supersharp but I felt this was too one dimensional to fulfil the brief

The Racer - Took me a while to work this out! I find the background a bit distracting and the diagonals for me take me away from the subject

Love-locked Memories - Here the diagonals emphasise that the number of padlocks stretch from here to eternity, a thoughtful touch. A simple subject treated well.

Lining up on the Sugar City Museum - I feel there’s a missed opportunity here. The diagonals lead you to that first featureless door and the interest is in the writing on the wall and the pedestrian who is in the wrong place. I think I’d have gone in closer to focus on the lines I wanted then begged a passer-by to be where I wanted him in the shot

The Barn - Lots of diagonals and a good contrast in your lighting of the posts but not really a strong subject, I’m afraid

Christ Church - Here the diagonals are leading us upwards . Solid subject and I like the mono treatment, a pity it didn’t have a big cross at the top to emphasise that that’s why we’re looking up

Piazza IX Aprile Floor - Shadows make lines that are a gift in photography but I don’t think you’ve made the most use of them here as the vertical railings are a nearly solid block that is unattractive. You could have cropped in for an abstract but better still might have been to get down low and find something of interest that those diagonals lead to.

Molina del Pasico -A very pleasant shot of a charming subject but a bit too conventional to stand out.

Bumper Crop - Nice apples ! They are the central subject and the branches are merely incidental, I feel

City from Above - An exciting shot with a super point of view and all the people going neatly top left, with no cars. Good mono. I’m being harsh but those 2 horizontal bands - window lines? – just grate on me.

Church Portal This needs to be more memorable- a wider vista or more drama added with an obliging bird or flag- might have helped

As I wrote in my brief, I was looking for a photo where the diagonals imposed their presence on the picture by adding dynamic or depth and my results reflect this.

Ist Glasgow Central – Brian

2nd City from Above – Alan

3rd Love locked Memories - Andy

So Congratulations to Brian and it’s over to you for the next one

Bo

Comment

Working...
                              X