Atlantic rollers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantic rollers

This was taken at Trevone in Cornwall, on the afternoon the two chaps were swept off the rocks when fishing near Treyarnon, a mile or so down the coast from here.

Trevone by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Atlantic rollers

Your timing has made a good composition with the near foam providing foreground interest set below the main event on the rocks ....I really like the colours of the sea in Cornwall which are reproduced superbly here.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I like that as well, wonderful colours.
      Colin

Comment

This comes out as a powerful image to me. Very nice.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Very well done John

Tom

Comment

Brian, Colin, Nathaniel & Tom - thanks for looking chaps and for your encouraging comments
            John Liddle

Comment

excellent shot John, my sea photos always fail, but this is great
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Very nicely done, John.
                Chris
                80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thank you Ian & Chris
                  John Liddle

Comment

Wonderful image John. The dark rugged outline of the rocks give a perfect contrast to the white of the foam crashing against them and the deep rich colour of the sea is stunning. Only in Cornwall!
                    Well done.
                    Canon EOS 60D; Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS; Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; Canon 50mm f1.8; Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon Speedlite 270EX; Photoolex Speedlite M800C: Various Hoya Filters; PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pipebender74/

Comment

Thank you Pipebender - as you say "only in Cornwall"!
                      John Liddle

Comment

Very nice John and sorry not to have seen this when you posted it waaaay back in September but I think I was up in wet Wales getting, uh, wet.

This image captures one of the many moods of the north Cornish coast so well - moods that can change from benign to angry to downright dangerous in such a short time that many are caught unawares. Sadly, as you say, two fishermen died at Treyarnon while we were there and, among the snaps I took of the beach, is one of two fishermen out on the rocks; it may not have been them but then again it is entirely possible it's one of the last photographs taken of them. Sobering stuff

Anyway, back to less sombre matters, this is a lovely image and a great encouragement for me to start posting some of my Treyarnon Bay shots.

And while I've got you John, your cider really is excellent You said it may need a bit of sweetening but it was just to my taste - most commercial cider is watered down and sweetened for the 'youth' market but I was brought up on farm coider* in country pubs so know what it should taste like.

* that was an unintended typo but, in reality, is how we in the West Country, pronounce it

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

Nice work John, the waves breaking over the headland coupled with the breaking wave in the foreground all come together to give a great image.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                          Peter

Feel free to browse my
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

John & Peter - thank you for looking and for your positive comments.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the cider John - another 70 litres are bubbling away as I type - if our paths cross next year you can sample the new brew!
                            John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                            X