Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Port Alfred, South Africa

Hi everyone.

I am a recently retired "oldie", who took up photography as a hobby about 35 years ago. That was in the days of film (remember that stuff?) and lenses that had to be focused manually (remember those?). I was a member of a camera club for many years and also did my own darkroom prints - colour and black & white. It was all good fun in those days, but I am now very happy to be doing it the digital way on my computer. I still miss the smell of darkroom chemicals though. I lived all my life in the vicinity of Johannesburg, but recently moved to Port Alfred on the coast, in search of a quieter life with less traffic congestion and a better climate. My main photographic interests are landscapes, wild life and (wait for it - drum roll) birds. There is no camera club here in Port Alfred, so I look forward to participating in the various forum activities, as a way of keeping my photography going.

Cheers, Tony

Re: Greetings from Port Alfred, South Africa

I Tony welcome to the Forum from another oldie who according to his wife thinks he still 18!, and like you remembers the good old days of film both Kodacrome and 16mm cine.
    Look forward to seeing some pictures from down there in South Africa
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Welcome to the forum Tony
      Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Welcome to the forum Tony

Tom

Comment

Welcome to the EOS Forum Tony.

Plenty of us old'uns here that started on film, so looking forward to seeing some of your work.
          Colin

Comment

Welcome to the forum Tony - plenty of good advice available here.

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            Plenty of us old'uns here that started on film...
            Film!? My first camera used glass plates - the cost certainly focused (pun intended) the mind.
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Many thanks everyone.

Comment

Welcome tony

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome Tony plenty of both oldies & birders on here. At least you will not have as many moans about bad light as us in the U.K. have, look forward to the different birds I hope you will contribute with. Dave

Comment

Welcome Tony from Tony
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Welcome Tony , plenty of us on here enjoy wildlife photography so you are in good company
                      Steve ( LSINWP )
                      1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

A warm welcome from another Tony, think there are a few of us on here.

Like yourself did lots of photography using film. Still have all my darkroom stuff neatly packed away and all my Olympus OM kit.

Did all the usual stuff B&W, C41, E6 (slide), Cibachrome (prints from slides) etc.

Keep threatening to do some work with film again.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thank you Supergeeman, Dave and Tony. (There seem to be lots of people called Tony on this forum! )

Comment

Welcome Tony. I am sure you will enjoy the forum. I remember the good old film days as I was into photography in the 1950's with the old Kodak Brownie box camera ++++. Practica,Pentax,and now Canon. I also have fond memories of South Africa after 3 visits- Kruger,Jo-burg,Capetown and quite a lot in between.
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Nathaniel. I have visited the UK on a number of occasions, where my wife and I have undertaken motoring trips around Cornwall, Scotland and your part of the word, Wales. During the Wales trip, we hired a car in Liverpool, visited the castle in Conwy and then motored down the A470 to visit a cousin of mine near Cardiff, staying in B&Bs along the way. I have many photographs from my trips, but most of them would fall into the category of "travelling snapshots", because as I am sure you know, when you are travelling it is not always possible to choose the time of day for your pictures, or come back again if the weather is not co-operating. Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X