Riding The Waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding The Waves

New member here, checking to see if I have got the image download process right.

Riding The Waves by Tony Mitchell, on Flickr

This image was taken during a rubber duck race, which was held on the Kowie River, Port Alfred. The race was different in the sense that it was held partly on smooth river water and partly out at sea. It commenced about 1km inland from the river mouth, and required the competitors to take their boats down the river and out to sea, where they had to navigate around a couple of buoys, before entering the river mouth again. The tide was on the rise and the in-coming waves between the two breakwaters made the entry difficult. EOS 1D MkIV, 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II.

Re: Riding The Waves

Just welcomed you & you submit this cracking shot, looking forward to few more, glad you went via Flickr. Dave

Comment

Fabulous detail great action and sharp as a button.
      Colin

Comment

Well timed action shot

Tom

Comment

Thank you Dave, Colin and Tom.

Comment

Nice jump. Nice close up, I would also like to see more of the area.

Comment

excellent work
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Superb, brave men that close to the sea wall (saying men - could be women)

.DAVID.
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. The telephoto effect of the lens makes it look as if the boat is very close to the wall. There was in fact lots of available room. The tricky part was that, the boats had to complete several laps of the course, so as the leaders lapped the tail-enders, there were boats coming down the river while others were coming in from the sea again. Tony

Comment

We have these over in the UK where they are called Zapcats and Thundercats and the racing is manic.

The shot is perfectly exposed and very sharp but due to the high shutter speed ,1/1250, you have lost the sense of movement, ie the prop looks static. I have shot the races a few times and usually shoot Tv mode to set the shutter quite low, probably no more than 1/320

Stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan. You are right about the prop. This is the first time that I have photographed these boats and I did not think about that aspect at the time, as the propellers are normally under the water. I have adopted the principle that you suggested previously when shooting offroad racing - bikes and quads. Recently moved to Port Alfred and I believe that this is going to be an annual event, so I will have to do better next time. Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X