Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photography Hide

Hi All,

Have been missing for two weeks having a Holiday in France, poor weather sadly so not many pic's.

Whilst away I have been wondering if a Photography hide is a worthwhile investment, I now have permission to go onto quite a bit of farmland in Linc's which is quite remote so think I would be safe enough to pitch the hide and leave it.

From a bit of research I quite like the Simon King version but at approx £170 it's not cheap, I don't really fancy the ones where you sit inside a bag.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of using any and what your thoughts were, have to admit I am thinking ahead and waiting for the Hare mating and boxing season to begin in earnest again

Regards Paul

Re: Photography Hide

Paul, a hide is an excellent idea and investment. The only problem is whether vandals would damage the hide- in today's world, one can never be sure! Thats my only reservation!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Nat, I recognise the risk of leaving a hide erected, I just hope it will be far enough off the beaten track for it not to be a target, thanks also Tony, have you any experience of using any of these?

Regards Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

I have a Wildlife Watching Supplies Dome Hide used only once in Scotland. I'm 6' 7" tall and the backs getting too old to use it any more. I think it's the standard size version. I also have some scrim netting. It's yours for £150.00 ono. The only problem is I'm off to Botswana tomorrow for 2 weeks. If you can wait until the beginning of October we can sort it out then.

Regards,

Brian
        http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Hi Paul
          I use hides, but I make my own and never spend more than £20 on one. Buy some DPM (Camouflage material) you can get it on-line or any shop that sells material and a few canes, the plastic ones from a Garden Centre. This gives you more scope than a Dome, you can use it as a lean-too against a tree, or as a screen, or low level and lay under it or even just wrap it around yourself like a poncho. I drape mine over the Quad Bike Trailer and drag it around to where ever I want it. One problem with a dome hide is, if you are going to spend a few hours in them you can get cramp - not much leg room, especially if you have a seat in there with you plus a tripod. I had a dome hide - Wildlife Watching Supplies - I gave it away! I know of people who have left hides in position only to find them gone the next day even on private land in remote locations - nice little earner for anyone finding a 150 quid plus hide.
          Have you considered a camouflage suit again for £20 you can kit yourself out in the local Ex Army Store - Jacket, Trousers, Cap, Face Vail. Then buy a spare pair of trousers for the tripod - one tripod leg in each trouser leg, the third leg is at the rear un-seen and the camera sticking through the fly-front. I use this sort of thing more than anything, I was a Royal Marine Commando so still have a lot of cam gear.
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks Brian, I will have a think about that, I note there are 3 sizes, being so tall did you not go for the 'Large' C30.1? although I note even that is only 5ft tall, and do you know which Camo pattern it is?

Thanks Trev, plenty to think about there!

Regards Paul

Comment

No Paul, but have used the company before with no problems.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Hi Paul,

Can't remember the size or Camo pattern. I'll have a look when I get back. Just off to the airport. I'll contact you on my return.

Regards,

Brian
                http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Working...
                X