Oh flipping heck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh flipping heck

And words to that effect ,just got back from a very soggy week in leaky Lakeland to find that my I.mac has decided to die the death of the black screen disease ,its turning on and making the sounds but no screen .so while I do have some pics to process it might b a while before I can post any photos ,can't even sell the old one for spares and repairs as I can't remove my personal data from it or access my photo libraries .

Re: Oh flipping heck

Now that is not a good welcome home. How long have you had the iMac?
    Colin

Comment

It's about 8 years old Colin ,apparently the black screen of death is common

Comment

oh my, hopefully you have some backups of your images.

Comment

Not enough tom ,not that bothered to be honest ,but there's a lot of other important stuff on there I need to access

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
            Not enough tom ,not that bothered to be honest ,but there's a lot of other important stuff on there I need to access
            I am sorry to hear that Jeff - I would think that it should be possible to remove the hard drive and mount it in a caddy so as to be able to read it with another machine and recover your data.
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

there's a lot of other important stuff on there I need to access
              If the HD is still working, go to youtube and look for how to replace a hard drive in an iMac. At first glance it looks pretty scary, but in fact is quite easy and if you are scrapping the remainder of the iMac, you don't have to be quite so careful disconnecting the screen etc. The HD itself just unclips, remove a couple of connections and you are ready to put it in a caddy to recover whatever you need.

You will need a couple of suckers to remove the glass and a couple of small Torx drivers to remove the display, these are available from Crucial.com.

Good luck buddy.
              Colin

Comment

This happened to me - the day after I had bought my new iMac, the old one's screen died.
                Fortunately, I managed to connect both via a network switch and SSH into the old one, so I got the data that I needed off it.
                Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

My Ipad started to do funny things image wise and I looked on the web, it suggested something had come lose and to put it face down on a flat surface then whack the back with the flat of my hand to reseat it.... blowed if it didnt work and 8 months on is still happily churning away... can you not replace parts on them? I am a great believer that if man put it together, man can take it apart again to fix it.
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Black screen could simply be the backlights gone. hold a torch to the screen and can you see an image, if you can it is the backlights, they illuminate behind the screen so you can see it.

She lives,, I replaced the inverter and the power supply, not that hard of a job (I've done worst). I picked up the parts on a famous auction site both for well under $100 and with the Guides found on ifixit i brought new life to this Imac, after replacing the parts the screen seams brighter and... - iMac Intel 20" EMC 2105 and 2118

Best Priced Inverter Part: https://ebay.to/2sdlFcSThis is a great video on how to fix your broken iMac (2009 2010, 2011) look no further, this video will exp...

have you tried

in my case the issue was also solved by simply entering the password on the black screen and then pressing enter.
                    Last edited by TonyT; 14-09-2017, 11:34.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I have a MacBook Pro which now shows a black screen. Not really a problem for me as:
                      a) it is not my main computer
                      b) it is connected to a larger monitor and works just fine with this.

The chances are that all your data and images are safe. If you have one, try connecting an external monitor.

I have had a quote of £150 for replacement of the screen.

The computer dates back to at least 2011 and has not given any previous issues.
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Sorry to hear about your mishap neighbour! I am not computer or IT savvy at all but I always backup my stuff on to an external hard drive atleast once a month. So far no problem with my Windows 10 & Samsung Tower!
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

You have probably got two options here.

If you assume that the LCD screen is faulty then as someone has said plug a monitor into the external video output and copy all your data files to a USB stick or USB external hard drive. OR.

Remove the hard drive from the Mac Book and use an external drive caddy to copy your data and images to your new computer which you might have to buy. It might be a problem removing the hard drive but if the MAC Book is duff then it will not matter if you damage it getting the hard drive out.

The other option is of course to pay someone to do a repair or data recovery for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Update ,spoke to a very nice local engineer who pointed me in the direction that Colin said .i.e remove screen and l.c.d monitor and remove hard drive ,I already have a 3.5 inch S.ata drive so hopefully will be able to recover the data ,doing a deal with my lad a having his 27 inch mac off him as he ordered a new one last night ,mine will have upgraded graphics and a SSD hard drive .probably be a week or so till I,m up and running again but the crisis looks partially over for now .
                            Btw you can't connect the mac that's broken to a external screen for some reason ,you have to remove the hard drive ,been told by two different mac techies

Comment

ROBERT,

Shine a torch on the screen if you can see an image it is possibly the backlight gone, it could even be the fuse to it, see

Your system uses LED's for the backlight system. On your main logic board is a driver chip (WLED) which likely blew. Here's a simular question: Location of the WLED driver. You may want to also review the IFIXIT teardown for your system: MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2010 Teardown. - MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2010
                              Last edited by TonyT; 14-09-2017, 14:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X