Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photoshop Elements 9 has stopped working properly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photoshop Elements 9 has stopped working properly.

Help! Photoshop Elements 9 has stopped working properly. It opens but the menus only show a fraction of the drop down width. Windows says there is a problem and asks to close it, saying it will try to find a solution.
    Tried restarting the computer and program but it still comes up with the same message.
    If I delete it and reinstall (if I can find the disk) will I lose Silver FX?
    Windows is up to date, and when I Googled the problem no one had a solution.
    To make matters worst, I'm involved with a photographic exhibition next month and need to tweak a few images before printing.
    Hoping someone here can help. Thanks.
    Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
    http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Re: Photoshop Elements 9 has stopped working properly.

PSE-9 is now rather old. My suggestion would be to download a trial of the current version, PSE-15. If it works for you then consider buying a licence.

Comment

Thanks, I didn't know you could download a trial version.
      Will investigate.
      Janet

Comment

Have you tried rolling back the PC to a previous state? you might of had an update that has caused it.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I have been lazy and never made a restore point. Wondering if the last Windows 10 update caused the problems.
          Trying to work on the other half that I need to upgrade my laptop, it is 6 1/2 yrs old, and is very slow. Reluctant to put a new program on it.
          Janet

Comment

I would say replace the hard drive with an SSD ( Solid state drive), it will re-invigorate it. you just clone the current drive onto it, so all your stuff on the drive is safe.

This will give you the idea

Sometimes its hard to get across to people, just how much of a difference an SSD can make to a computer.In this test, we've used a middle of the road i3 base...

This shows it booting photoshop

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Even if you haven't done a restore point I think Windows 10 has a facility to roll back the last update in the my computer screen. here you go

Last edited by TonyT; 18-09-2017, 15:07.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony and others for your advice. I will certainly watch the videos in the links.
              Slightly reluctant with a clone, mainly because when the Camera Club website was moved from someone else's computer to mine, I had to re-do all the hyperlinks..... there are thousands!
              Next month, another small camera group I belong to are putting on an exhibition, so busy looking through past images that have already been 'tweaked' and printed, slightly stressed to say the least.
              Janet

Comment

When I say clone I mean a clone, you plug the new SSD into your pc via USB, load the software on your PC and it copies the drive over lock stock and barrel, it mirrors your drive exactly, you then swop the drives and you have your old drive as either a back up or you can put it in the case the cloning kit normally comes with and / or use it as an external if wanted. Just thought I would let you know, its an option :)

Have done my main PC and also my friends Laptop

Comment

Tony, it is worth considering. Thanks.
                  Janet

Comment

Jan, I would advise you to go in for PSE 15, the latest one. I was also in the same boat as you with my PSE 7 and it packed up after I upgraded to windows 10. PSE 15 has got so much more in it (most of which I am still learning how to use them) and it will certainly last many more years of post processing work.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks. Yes I will upgrade. If I remove Elements 9, will I loose Nik Fx? I really need a new laptop, but have been really busy preparing for the Exhibition, updating the website and sorting out new furniture and prep for decorating. I just need someone with a magic wand!
                      Janet

Comment

A friend gave me their copy of Elements 10 to try. First I managed to locate and save Nik Fx, then uninstall Elements 9. Elements 10 works! At first glance it looks identical to 9.
                        The laptop is still very slow, so considering the SSD drive and finding out if it can take more RAM.
                        Thanks for the advice given here.
                        Janet

Comment

Just FYI: Adobe has announced PSE 2018 ... don’t know price or availability yet ... the naming scheme has changed from an incremental release number to a year instead.

Comment

Jan out of interest have you defragged the hard drive? that can speed things up, files get fragmented which means the poor old hard drive head is zipping back and fwd looking for where bits are and that slows it down, defragging it shuffles them all around so the files are next to each other and speeds things back up, you will want to do it if you go the SSD route as an SSD does not need defragging as the files cannot move, however if they are all over the place when you put them on an SSD, they will still be all over the place from then on, though the SSD will fly through them.

Defragmenting a hard drive might sound radical, but in reality it's a simple process that might give a healthy boost to the speed of your PC. Here's how to do it.
                            Last edited by TonyT; 09-10-2017, 11:45.

Comment

Hi, it is set to update and defrag in the early hours of Sunday morning each week. Will check the settings again. Thanks.
                              Janet

Comment

Working...
                              X