Li-ion Batteries - Heathrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Li-ion Batteries - Heathrow

Was speaking to someone last evening who had just returned from a safari trip to Kenya.
    To cut it short he had to ditch his batteries at Heathrow.
    They had checked in their main baggage - no problems
    When they got to security they checked his 'carry on bag' which contained two camera bodies with batteries, two lens, two spare LP-E6N batteries and spare CF cards. They would not let him take the batteries onto the flight, he had to ditch the four batteries - he was told Li-ion batteries are now considered Dangerous Goods.
    All however was not lost, when they got to the camp they had a selection of batteries that had been forgotten and left behind by previous guest he was able to use.

This could have been a disaster for him, it concerns me, we travel to Kenya frequently, I've never had a problem over batteries but have had my camera and filming equipment 'turned over' at Heathrow and swabbed for drugs.
    I'm posting this as a warning to anyone who may be travelling to Kenya, it might be worth looking into.
    If this is now general practice, and knowing Kenya like I do, I can see some locals awaiting you at arrivals in Nairobi and offering you batteries at grossly inflated prices.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Re: Li-ion Batteries - Heathrow

Thanks for this post Trev. I wonder whether travellers can put their batteries in their normal baggage without taking the same into the cabin?
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Just had a look at the Heathrow website , they say see the CAA website but i can't see any mention of Li-ion batteries amongst the guns, scissors , etc.....
      Can you put the batteries in the checked in luggage ?
      Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon_H View Post
        Just had a look at the Heathrow website , they say see the CAA website but i can't see any mention of Li-ion batteries amongst the guns, scissors , etc.....
        Can you put the batteries in the checked in luggage ?
        Most definitely not. The usual questions I get asked are to ensure that Li-ion batteries are either on my person or in the carry on luggage. The fear is that they can spontaneously ignite and it is better to be able to get at them to deal with the problem than to have them setting fire to the hold.

It sounds to me as though Trev's companion had encountered a less than fully trained jobsworth.

For absolute detail try the CAA website - interesting to note that terminals on loose batteries should be taped.

Last edited by John Liddle; 23-09-2017, 08:51. Reason: added CAA link
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I flew from Birmingham to Lanzarote with two batteries, one in camera and one loose spare not taped. Both in hand luggage and not a problem from security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Flew from Heathrow earlier this week and no problem at all with batteries, both in camera and in pocket of camera bag. Batteries are not allowed in checked bags, must be in carry on.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I'm incline to agree with Jonh. I think who ever told home to ditch the batteries got it wrong, he said it was a young coloured lad.
              He's the sort of person who if told to ditch them - he would. Me I would have stood my ground asked for a manager
              I've never had any problems, had gear swabbed for drugs and been stopped another time because we had a large amount of money with us.
              He should have been given the option of having them returned to him by paying a fee - live and learn!
              Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Given that 4 batteries are worth over £200 I think he should be submitting a formal complaint and a compensation claim to LHR. I had an incident at LGW which resulted in a wrecked laptop and claimed and won compensation from the airline.

If Li-Ion batteries were prohibited then most modern laptops would be having their batteries confiscated ... doubt if that would go down well!

Comment

Enigma
                  Thanks for that he has on my advice taken the matter up with Heathrow. I will keep you up to speed with the outcome
                  Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Working...
                  X