Second body choice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second body choice ?

I have now started work as a Freelance commercial photographer and find myself needing a second body to use alongside/instead of my 1D MkIV.

Funds are tight so it will be second hand.

Question is do I buy another MkIV or spend a bit more and get a 1DX?

I really do want a 1D body so no other suggestions needed but a couple of quick questions.

Are the batteries for the MkIV and the 1DX swappable both ways?

Any other things I should know about good or bad if getting the 1DX (I am aware that the 1DX is a full frame camera) ?

Much as I would love a 1DX Mk2 that remains out of my financial grasp but maybe as the business grows it will be on the cards a little bit later down the line.

Cheers Guys and Gals
    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Re: Second body choice ?

Good luck with your new venture Jeff , hope it all goes well . Can not help with the camera choice , but if it`s your living I would think reliability would be key .

Comment

The usual advice from pro photographers is to buy the kit you need, not the kit you want. And that will all depend on exactly what area you are going into. To me "commercial" means things such as product photography for which the 1DX would have no obvious advantage, being particularly optimised for high speed action i.e. sport, wildlife and similar, but your idea of commercial may be different. So you should look at the extra features of the 1DX and ask "How would these enable me to get more work and make more money?" and then decide if it's worth the extra cost.

The LP-E4N is compatible with both bodies, so I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to swap them round, I do so with LP-E6 and LP-E6N

Good luck with the enterprise, I've never had the urge to be a pro photographer but have worked for myself for 15 years and have found the usual advice is true, it's more about finding work, budgeting and accounting, organising yourself, dealing with clients, deadlines and bureaucracy etc. etc. than it is about your skills or kit. I believe there are less pro photographers about these days because with digital so many people and businesses believe they can do it themselves.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

The 1D MkIV has been a great servant for me so reliability has not been an issue.....thankfully

So either the same body again or the newer version I'm hoping either would carry on in the same mould.....Fingers crossed.
        Last edited by Coolcat; 26-09-2017, 14:28.
        Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
          The usual advice from pro photographers is to buy the kit you need, not the kit you want. And that will all depend on exactly what area you are going into. To me "commercial" means things such as product photography for which the 1DX would have no obvious advantage, being particularly optimised for high speed action i.e. sport, wildlife and similar, but your idea of commercial may be different. So you should look at the extra features of the 1DX and ask "How would these enable me to get more work and make more money?" and then decide if it's worth the extra cost.

The LP-E4N is compatible with both bodies, so I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to swap them round, I do so with LP-E6 and LP-E6N

Good luck with the enterprise, I've never had the urge to be a pro photographer but have worked for myself for 15 years and have found the usual advice is true, it's more about finding work, budgeting and accounting, organising yourself, dealing with clients, deadlines and bureaucracy etc. etc. than it is about your skills or kit. I believe there are less pro photographers about these days because with digital so many people and businesses believe they can do it themselves.
          Hi Richard,

Although self employed I already have a full contract supplying images to a media company who run the websites for some major corporations worldwide.

You are right in that the 1DX is possibly overkill but as my other non work photographic images are mainly motorsport, boating and cat portraits then it will serve me well, especially the weather sealing.
          The question is...........do I buy a second 1D MkIV safe in the knowledge that I know the camera well or do I spend a bit more money (well double really) and get a camera that is very similar operationally but will give me other benefits for my own photography as well as for work?

It's all new to me as I have worked for over twenty years in the electronics industry employed with a local company...... but the opportunity came up through a good friend and professional tog who already freelances for this company.

Went out with him as a shadow, enjoyed the experience so submitted my CV and got the gig .

Been doing it for three weeks now but don't want to be caught out miles from home with a camera not playing ball.
          So a back up or even a newer model and putting my existing camera in as back up body is the plan.
          Just the question of justifying the cost over the benefits!

I'm glad to hear that the batteries can be swapped from body to body, had for some reason thought that you could use the old batteries in the new body but not the other way round.

Cheers,

Jeff.
          Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I would buy new rather than second hand as a priority if my income depends on it....as with second hand you don't ultimately know if there is any unreliability issues. A back-up is only good if it actually works.
            Especially as there a great choices like the 5DIV or 6DII though that would have sports limitations perhaps I would definitely go for new. Yes the batteries are different but you can buy a lot of batteries for the price difference of a 5DIV/1DXII
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

as far as I'm aware you can swop the batteries on a mk3,mk4 and 1dx mk1 . as to other queries I believe the menu system on the 1dx is a tad more complicated than the mk4 but it has the advantage of being able to change exposure compensation in full manual mode ,you can't on the mk4 a lot depends I suppose on what your shooting ,you will also lose a small amount of crop factor 1.3 as opposed to full frame .both are sport and wildlife cameras and you should ease into a 1dx easily just beware high usage and high wear .I got my mk4 from WEX used in vgc with lowish shutter count and a full years warranty ,same as new .might be worth popping over to Norwich and having a look.
              I agree with Brian re warranty but a years a year so WEX'S used deals a no brainer
              Last edited by the black fox; 26-09-2017, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                I would buy new rather than second hand as a priority if my income depends on it....as with second hand you don't ultimately know if there is any unreliability issues. A back-up is only good if it actually works.
                Especially as there a great choices like the 5DIV or 6DII though that would have sports limitations perhaps I would definitely go for new. Yes the batteries are different but you can buy a lot of batteries for the price difference of a 5DIV/1DXII
                Hi Brian,

I don't want to be carrying different batteries around and having to think about where everything is going from one camera body to the other .

Also I will be buying from a proper shop with a warranty.

I bought my Mk4 used around two years ago and it has been super reliable so I have no real issues buying a well looked after example.

To be honest, after owning a 'gripped' 40D and 7D once I went to the 1D I couldn't ever go back to the smaller form bodies and their ergonomics .

It really is a choice between another one of what I already have or a 1D X
                Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  as far as I'm aware you can swop the batteries on a mk3,mk4 and 1dx mk1 . as to other queries I believe the menu system on the 1dx is a tad more complicated than the mk4 but it has the advantage of being able to change exposure compensation in full manual mode ,you can't on the mk4 a lot depends I suppose on what your shooting ,you will also lose a small amount of crop factor 1.3 as opposed to full frame .both are sport and wildlife cameras and you should ease into a 1dx easily just beware high usage and high wear .I got my mk4 from WEX used in vgc with lowish shutter count and a full years warranty ,same as new .might be worth popping over to Norwich and having a look.
                  I agree with Brian re warranty but a years a year so WEX'S used deals a no brainer
                  I'm already looking at a couple of bodies on Wex's website
                  I'll be up at the boat this weekend so I may get a chance to pop into Norwich Sunday if I don't get too pre occupied with boat jobs

Agree about their used warranties and their customer support so have no worries about purchasing a used good condition low mileage model
                  Last edited by Coolcat; 26-09-2017, 19:42.
                  Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                    Totally agree ... this should be an entirely objective decision. Having a second IV gives the greatest resilience and efficiency. You have stated that funds are limited so any genuine business value added by the X needs to be coldly evaluated and ruthlessly justified. If you have not already done so you should also find a good accountant and take advice regarding legal structure and possible VAT registration - ideally before making any asset acquisitions. I was self-employed for 5 years and it can be great fun and very rewarding - good luck with your new venture!

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                      Totally agree ... this should be an entirely objective decision. Having a second IV gives the greatest resilience and efficiency. You have stated that funds are limited so any genuine business value added by the X needs to be coldly evaluated and ruthlessly justified. If you have not already done so you should also find a good accountant and take advice regarding legal structure and possible VAT registration - ideally before making any asset acquisitions. I was self-employed for 5 years and it can be great fun and very rewarding - good luck with your new venture!
                      All very good points and taken on board.
                      Now is probably not the time to mention the new car acquisition to ferry me around in

When I say limited funds, I meant I’m not in the position to splash £5000 on a new 1Dx mk2.
                      A second hand 1DX is attainable though and my thoughts are that a newer body with a suggested longer lasting shutter life over the Mk4
                      will keep me going for longer......maybe !

There is also the fact that I will be using the cameras for myself as well and I’m beginning to think that full frame may give me more scope to
                      develop my own photography as well as being a tool for work.

Sounds like I have sold the idea to myself...... doesn’t it ?

I really would like to know from others that have used both bodies that I am going to see a worthwhile upgrade in image quality and any other factors for the extra outlay though.
                      Regards,

Jeff

Comment

That's why your going to buy that 1dx. so you can tell other 1D4 users how much better it is and show us the results ,just buy one you know it makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                          That's why your going to buy that 1dx. so you can tell other 1D4 users how much better it is and show us the results ,just buy one you know it makes sense
                          I like your logic there .......
                          Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

A word of caution regarding batteries. When the 1DX first came out Canon advised NOT to use the 1DX battery in the 1Div. It's okay to use the 1Div battery in the 1DX but not the other way round. I can't remember the exact reason, but I think it was something to do with the extra power of the 1DX battery overwhelming the 1Div's electrics and burning them out.

If you do buy a 1DX it will be your first camera because of its superior performance.

Cheers,
                            Neil
                            Neilly's Flickr Page
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                            Facebook
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post
                              Hi Jeff,

A word of caution regarding batteries. When the 1DX first came out Canon advised NOT to use the 1DX battery in the 1Div. It's okay to use the 1Div battery in the 1DX but not the other way round. I can't remember the exact reason, but I think it was something to do with the extra power of the 1DX battery overwhelming the 1Div's electrics and burning them out.

If you do buy a 1DX it will be your first camera because of its superior performance.

Cheers,
                              Neil
                              Hi Neil,

That sounds like something I remember reading hence asking the question about the batteries.

Have you used both bodies and if so what performance/IQ benefits have you seen ?
                              Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X