Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Second body choice ?

Hi Jeff,

I had a similar process as you - 1Div then the 1DX. There were several little niggly things with 1Div set up which didn't bother me, until I started using the 1DX. I found the 1DX made those small niggly thing bigger and more annoying, if you know what I mean? I eventually sold the 1Div and bought another 1DX and eventually the old 1DX went when I got the 1DX ii. Whilst the 1Div isn't a bad camera - it's PDG, really - it's just that the 1DX is so superior in all departments.

I would also point out that I mainly do aviation and motor sport which where these top end pro camera are at their best. If I was doing portrait, urban photography or something like that then I would think twice about the 1DX, but for action it's a very hard act to beat!

Cheers,
    Neil
    Neilly's Flickr Page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
    Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Motor Sport is my main hobby photography but the camera will need to fulfil a multitude of rolls including work based commercial photography, my charity cat photography and as a landscape camera for my Norfolk Broads Boating.

The main niggle on the 1D IV for me is not having the toggle to move focus points when in portrait mode, which is often when doing cat photos.

I do also sort of miss the Quick menu I had on my previous 7D, both of these things are only ergonomics but its nice to see that the 1DX resolves those niggles for me.

I'm also drawn to the better low light/high iso noise handling which should be useful
      Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Sounds like you're already convinced. One other advantage of stepping up to the 1DX from the 1Div - you can use the 1Div settings as a good starting point for the 1DX. I basically transferred over the 1Div settings and then fine tuned the 1DX to how I wanted it. Took me months to get the 1Div how I wanted it - the 1DX almost straight out the box, as it were.

As for low light - the 1DX is miles better - no comparison here because of the 1DX superiority.

Cheers,
        Neil
        Neilly's Flickr Page
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
        Facebook
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

I think you will find the 1DX battery will tell you shots remaining on the 1DX etc, where as the others do not, but can be used.

The blurb re batteries

Explore the Canon Digital Learning Center to find everything ranging from buying guides to training courses.

Explore the Canon Digital Learning Center to find everything ranging from buying guides to training courses.
          Last edited by TonyT; 28-09-2017, 11:15.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Ohh and if you are unaware you can download tutorials onto one of the cards in the 1DX and pull them up on the rear screen as you go along.

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

will you lot just shut up now ,its giving me that itchy credit card effect grrrrrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                will you lot just shut up now ,its giving me that itchy credit card effect grrrrrrrrr
                GAS is contagious ain’t it
                Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                  I think you will find the 1DX battery will tell you shots remaining on the 1DX etc, where as the others do not, but can be used.

The blurb re batteries

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources...-battery.shtml
                  Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                  Ohh and if you are unaware you can download tutorials onto one of the cards in the 1DX and pull them up on the rear screen as you go along.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/galleries...utorials.shtml

Cheers for that info Tony
                  Regards,

Jeff

Comment

If you look here on the Canon UK site they show the same battery recommended for both the 1D MkIV and the 1D X
                    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Have you bought yourself one yet Jeff?

I move from the 5D MKIII to a 1Dx without any problems getting used to the layout; all Canon Cameras have a familial layouts so it doesn't take long for everything to become second nature.

Paul
                      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                        Have you bought yourself one yet Jeff?

I move from the 5D MKIII to a 1Dx without any problems getting used to the layout; all Canon Cameras have a familial layouts so it doesn't take long for everything to become second nature.

Paul
                        Hi Paul,

Yep I know they are similar having shot Canon Dslr's since the 20D........ but I really don't want the ergonomics of the smaller form bodies as I said before, just prefer the feel of the 1D bodies even though all my previous bodies were gripped.
                        Also having to carry two different sets of batteries etc just adds complication I don't need
                        Last edited by Coolcat; 28-09-2017, 15:19.
                        Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                          If you look here on the Canon UK site they show the same battery recommended for both the 1D MkIV and the 1D X
                          https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-lp-e...pack/5751B002/
                          It seems that it should be safe to use either way after all then........result
                          Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Well, it took me a while since I started this thread but I have just ordered a low mileage (23,000 actuations) 1 DX from Wex today.
                            Hopefully will be in my mits later this week.
                            Will then get to play with the new body and hopefully post some of my efforts up on here

Sorry it took so long to get round to purchasing and thus updating this thread but...........The small purchase of a new boat last year rather scuppered any further spending for a while
                            Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I think you made the right choice.

Use the 1DX as your main body, with the MKIV as your back-up. As your business improves and you can write some tax off against new equipment, trade the MKIV in for the 1Dx MKII. Always leapfrog the old body for a new one and you always have a body you are familiar with, whilst getting to grips with the new one.

I wish you the very best of fortune with your new enterprise.
                              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                                I think you made the right choice.

Use the 1DX as your main body, with the MKIV as your back-up. As your business improves and you can write some tax off against new equipment, trade the MKIV in for the 1Dx MKII. Always leapfrog the old body for a new one and you always have a body you are familiar with, whilst getting to grips with the new one.

I wish you the very best of fortune with your new enterprise.
                                Cheers Colin,

You have read my thought process down to a tee there
                                Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X